Thread: Head of al-Qaida Killed by CIA

Head of al-Qaida Killed by CIA

WASHINGTON (AP) — A U.S. drone strike in Afghanistan this weekend killed Ayman al-Zawahri, who took over as al-Qaida leader after Osama bin Laden’s death in a U.S. raid. President Joe Biden was set to announce the killing Monday, delivering a significant counterterrorism win just 11 months after American troops left the country after a two-decade war.

The strike, carried out by the Central Intelligence Agency, was confirmed by five people familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity before Biden was set to brief the American people on the details of the operation in a 7:30 p.m. EDT address to the nation.
    Strike Here
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Nice shootin'......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

May the rest of them follow.

Our CIA is awesome.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

From this evening's edition of the NYT:

1. A U.S. drone strike is said to have killed the top Al Qaeda leader.

Ayman al-Zawahri, who took over the leadership of the group after the death of Osama bin Laden, was killed in a weekend strike conducted on a residential house in Kabul’s Sherpur area, a wealthy downtown neighborhood.

U.S. officials said that the strike, the first attack in Afghanistan since American forces left last year, was not conducted by the military, suggesting that the operation was carried out by the C.I.A. Agency officials declined to comment.

Zawahri had avoided Afghanistan for years. His return to Kabul with the Taliban takeover raises questions about the group’s commitment to keeping Al Qaeda out of the country.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

A little of this dudes "heritage":

Zawahiri believed that attacking the U.S. and allied countries was essential to undermining the pro-Western Arab regimes that were standing in the way of uniting Muslims around the world. In 1998, he wrote, “To kill Americans and their allies—civilian and military—is an individual duty for every Muslim who can do it in every country in which it is possible to do it.” In that year, he was a senior advisor to bin Laden when al-Qaeda bombed the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, killing more than 200 people and wounding more than 4500 others. He planned the bombing of the U.S.S. Cole in 2000, which killed 17 U.S. sailors and wounded dozens more. He helped to plan the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on September 11, 2001.
    Enjoy your virgins ***hole
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I believe this is an open link to a WaPo article detailing the strike...Lots of info here......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Ben, that link was helpful to understanding the effort (and years) spent identifying and tracking al-Zawahri.

Yeah, it doesn't make up for the personnel we've lost in the War On Terror. But, it's a heck of a good start.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

about the new type of Hellfire Missile (R9X) used

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62400923
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    about the new type of Hellfire Missile (R9X) used]
    Bill Roggio, a senior fellow at the Foundation for Defence of Democracies who has been tracking US drone strikes for many years, said that the Zawahiri strike was likely "much more difficult" than previous killings to execute, given the absence of any US government presence or assets nearby.
    So nowhere to run, nowhere to hide......Ben

Everywhere I go, your face I see,
    Every step I take, you take with me, yeah
    Nowhere to run to baby, Nowhere to hide
    Got Nowhere to run to baby, Nowhere to hide

Reaction continues to pour in regarding this event:

Those ladies were far ahead of their time, Kevin......Ben

Oh, man. This thread really became celebratory.

Hunter