Thread: Question Mike

Question Mike

You mentioned that you sent an animal to the butcher recently----was it a long horn?

Have you gotten any yet? Not sure I would want to eat one--at least not as a steak
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Nope, it was a Black Baldy, a cross between a Hereford and Black Angus.

It looked like these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baldy.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	39052

Haven't got the Longhorns yet, too much life getting in the way. Maybe in a few months.

Longhorn beef is good for you!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Those are great meat cows. That's funny around here we call them white face cows.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

That's a lot of cow.

My Dad used to get a 1/2 beef every 6 months for a family of 5.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

That is a cross between a Black Angus and a Polled Hereford.

The Polled Hereford actually originated with mutations of horned Herefords in 1901.

After I got out of the service, I was feeding a lot of steers and I preferred the Polled Herefords to the Black Angus although I had both. The Herefords seemed to have a little faster weight gain and they were not as much of a challenge to keep in a fence. Angus can put a lot of stress on fences
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The calf in the picture was 1 day old when I took it November 15th of last year.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    That is a cross between a Black Angus and a Polled Hereford.

The Polled Hereford actually originated with mutations of horned Herefords in 1901.

After I got out of the service, I was feeding a lot of steers and I preferred the Polled Herefords to the Black Angus although I had both. The Herefords seemed to have a little faster weight gain and they were not as much of a challenge to keep in a fence. Angus can put a lot of stress on fences
    And they don't like to turn into a gate when your standing in front of a herd with a bamboo pole out of a roll of carpet, my uncle said it would be OK.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson