Thread: Not fishing, just asking

Not fishing, just asking

I've been reading a good bit about speaker pelosi possibly going to Taiwan. Apparently the Chinese are not happy about the possibility. From what I understand they've been doing a lot of saber rattling. I don't know the depth of it. My question is if the Chinese are serious should the speaker go? Is this the time we want to draw a line in the sand? I really don't know. I do know we don't want to war with China.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I think she should not go, but that in itself would embolden the Chinese who would see it as a weakness and cause loss of face for us. That said, Taiwan news sources say she is arriving tomorrow evening or night. I suspect that is speculation on their part due to tight security on her possible visit.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I don't know why she wants to poke that tiger in the eye

If she isn't going why play a childish game? If she does go the Chinese will be obligated to take some kind of action or they loose face---and that is something they don't do easily. In addition, Xi has to allow the military to flex their mussels simply to maintain a good image in the eyes of the generals.

This isn't smart if she goes or not.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Taking into consideration what Dave said, which I think makes good sense, is this a major blunder by the Biden administration to allow this to get to this point? Seems to me it would be.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

It is in my opinion

According to the WSJ, she is going there tomorrow. She also has her husband with her----apparently didn't want to leave him home alone
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Ideally, she should have made a surprise visit there. Heck, what could China do then? Now they'll be in a spot where they will look foolish if they watch from the sidelines.

Will they kill her? I doubt it. But, they'll make Taiwan pay - one way or another.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I would argue that pelosi would not be able to move around that area of the world without full knowledge of the Chinese

Pelosi has landed - let the games begin!

Hmm, thinking about the logistics of a quick exit, I wonder how much maintenance her broom will need before takeoff.............
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Pelosi has landed - let the games begin!

Hmm, thinking about the logistics of a quick exit, I wonder how much maintenance her broom will need before takeoff.............
    ......she has spares

Beginning to think this could be more political theater, in combination with the strike on the terrorist, to show the Dems are hawks ahead of the midterms.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Beginning to think this could be more political theater, in combination with the strike on the terrorist, to show the Dems are hawks ahead of the midterms.
    Or maybe.. the thumbing her nose at China and the terrorist strike is who the Dems really are.. but the political schtick of the tv/radio entertainers can’t allow them credit when credit is due..

Being Finically liberal and strong on defense are not mutually exclusive….

People do things for their own motivations, which are often very personal to them, and not merely in service of their party.

In Pelosi's case, she has been rather forceful on China for some time. She led a delegation to visit the Dalai Lama in India and pushed Congress to give him a Congressional Gold Medal. She told Xi to his face that he was in violation of WTO trade rules. She has stood up for Tibetan and Uyghur human rights and pushed for a diplomatic boycott of China by the US during the Olympics. She has opposed China for over 30 years and I sort of see this as a last lap sort of thing, since she knows she will not likely be Speaker in the next Congress, to beard the lion in his den.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    and cause loss of face for us.

I have no problem losing her face. That is one plastic surgery nightmare....