Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scariest Take Off in the World?

Scariest Take Off in the World?

Whoa! This is a scary video!

Linkie
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Would not let me see it, too bad.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Here is a Different Link.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Do you have any idea where that was?

I have to send that to my SIL
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I have no idea where it is, but I would like to know.

I have to wonder about the stresses on the aircraft's wings when it drops off like that.

Links don't work for me......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Looks like the departure from the Sedona airport ...

Nope. Not me.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Looks like the departure from the Sedona airport ...
    I have actually done that one. I was silently praying for more runway. Was at a conference out there and a colleague wanted to show off his citation and offered to fly out over the Grand canyon and then over Vegas. It's amazing how close all that really is when you're in an aircraft. If I ever do it again I'll just close my eyes.

I don't think that is Sedona Bo. First, that is listed as a non controlled airport and there is commercial traffic in that video. Plus the layout doesn't match:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	39051

I just sent the link to my SIL but I don't know where he is at the moment.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I just looked at the comments on FB. It appears it is faked. Possibly from a flight simulator.

It looked like it was FX. I get fooled by those things all the time especially with war video that is computer generated.

Yes it's fake...

"I don't think that is Sedona Bo" - no it's not I just said it's similar to Sedona.... Use to fly out of there a lot and it's fun when you drop off the edge of the Mesa...

There is another comment that says it is Aspen---but that doesn't match either. I'll wait to hear from my SIL but I am leaning heavily on the fake side.

That said, I have seen carrier takeoffs that show the same sort of drop at the bow---to the point where the entire aircraft goes out of sight for a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I have seen carrier takeoffs that show the same sort of drop at the bow---to the point where the entire aircraft goes out of sight for a few seconds.
    I still haven't seen the video in question because I can't see Facebook...But Dave's comment reminded me of the Doolittle mission in 1942, and the launch of the B-25's from the USS Hornet...Each launch was timed to occur as the Hornet rode the crest of an approaching wave...Doolittle's aircraft was first off the deck, and just as he became airborne, and gravity did its work on the heavy bomber forcing it toward the surface, an unexpected rogue wave appeared in his flight path forcing the B-25 to fly through it as it struggled to gain altitude...Doolittle saw its approach and immediately adjusted power and trim settings for the impact...His reflexes and training paid off as the B-25 stayed in the air even ingesting the seawater as it did...

I've read the other crews took courage and confidence that if their leader could do it they could safely follow him to the gates of Hell...The picture below shows one of the aircraft launching......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...