Thread: Ford F-150 Lightning Towing Report

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing Report

It is even worse than I had expected, and I didn't expect much!

Before you hitch an Airstream to your electric truck and set out to circumnavigate the country, you need to understand this: With the largest available battery pack, a fully charged 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning electric truck has less energy onboard than a regular F-150 with four gallons of gas in its tank.

Consider how far a combustion-powered F-150 tows on four gallons of regular unleaded. Fifty miles? Maybe 60 if you drive slowly?

Now that you understand where we're starting from, you won't be as surprised to learn that the towing range of the electric F-150 is dismal. In MotorTrend testing, an F-150 Lightning Platinum saddled with a camper that nearly maxed out its 8,500-pound towing capacity couldn't even cover 100 miles. Range improved when we hooked up a significantly lighter trailer, but not by as much as you might expect.
    The tests results are really ugly, especially when you consider that the tests were done with a top-of-the-line F-150 Platinum with the large battery. I will leave you to weep as you consider the future by clicking HERE.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

There's a long way to go before electric trucks have moderate capacity to tow anything of any significant weight. I guess if you want to look at the bright side most of the people driving pickup trucks are just driving them because they like pickup trucks and never tow anything.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'll be sticking with my F-350 to tow my 41' fifth wheel. I don't think electric will become capable of that during my lifetime.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Keep the beast!!!
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Keep the beast!!!
    Thanks, I intend to do just that......Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1563.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	39050
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

None other than the one and only Ben's beast of burden

I'll probably never go EV for my vehicle but Nurse Paula's next car may be EV (if she ever gets a next car) her car is a garage queen Gets driven twice a week to the salon and back.... 2001 Accord EX with 110K miles.... I have to replace the tires because they age out. Replaced the timing belt due to age as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    2001 Accord EX with 110K miles....
    Yep, approaching 22 years old and no more mileage than that, it'll outlast both of you...Good job on the maintenance......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

And she still loves the car.... If I ever sell it it will be at auction just out of curiosity...

Yeah, I'm slowing down.

I used to get a new vehicle each year because I get bored super fast. But this time, I went all out and spec'd out my dream Jeep, which was built and shipped to me 3 years ago. It's the first Jeep I've owned that can run 35" tires with no lift - which means all drive train specs/measurements are retained. And, it's my sound machine as well, with a system I look forward to listening to.

I still fall in love with some of the classics my friends have posted here.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead