Thread: Ben don't try this

Ben don't try this

I know you'd like to but don't.

https://fb.watch/evbuPriYax/
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Maybe he should've tightened the valve cover down a bit more......

Must...Resist...Showing...Off...
    Must...Resist...Showing...Off...

...Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Man, that was quite the video. I'm assuming the guy that could afford to pour that much money into an engine can also afford to lose it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

That thing at the end sounded a whole lot like a run away Jimmy-----a sound I have first person knowledge of

Ben----is that engine prone to run away?

There was also a few puffs of white smoke in the runup that would have concerned me
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Ben----is that engine prone to run away?

There was also a few puffs of white smoke in the runup that would have concerned me
    I think any engine that has a source of incoming oxygen and some kind of fuel (even antifreeze) can trigger a runaway...With the modifications those engines endure I would say, yes to the possibility...And I agree on the white smoke - I would have shut down that second......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The Jimmy that ran away for me was in an excavator so the engine was behind me. I was also down on a shelf digging a jack and bore pit to go under a railroad. The location made the intensity of the noise even worse----it sounded as if a helicopter was landing on my head. The "E" stop was to my left and slightly behind me---by the time I realized what was happening and got hold of the "E" stop it was all over

We ended up rebuilding the engine down in that hole. I would have dropped a crate engine in it but couldn't get one quickly enough.

That is the only engine I ever had run away. I have never heard of a Cat running away----and they do not have "E" stops on them either.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Think of the implications involved with a runaway jet...Note the Brits improvised a few pallets for their test stand, and I suppose if it got loud enough they might have remembered the ear plugs......Ben

Off on another tangent

I once did a lot of work in a Firestone Tire plant in Pottstown, PA. The plant had been the home of Jacobs Aircraft Engines.

This was a war time plant. The roof was dead flat with parapet walls so that it would hold rain water---trying to look like a lake from the air :

In the basement were "test cells". This was a row of about 10' x 10' spaces with about 12" thick concrete walls on two sides. They would put the engines, on test stands, and then run them at full throttle for a minimum amount of time----if they didn't come apart they passed By the looks of the concrete they had more than a few that failed

That was in the early 70's and there were a few guys still there working for Firestone that had worked for Jacobs.

The only time I've seen an engine blow in person (other than at the race track) was when I first moved to Utah. A lady started her car, when the temperature was zero, then revved it to high RPMs and it noisily failed in a huge puff of smoke.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Only actual catastrophic failure in front of me was a lawnmower.. loud exhaust noise instantly became the quiet “whoosh “ of fan blades.. huge puff of smoke and oil everywhere as I had a front row seat to a broken connecting rod trying to escape from the newly opened block orifice..

Small potatoes in the big picture..