Thread: Daves Food Supply

Daves Food Supply

Dave , I believe you shop at a Mennonite ? . food supplier often . Is that correct ?.

If so , better stock up . If they can do this to the Amish , the Menonites cannot be far behind.

https://thelibertyloft.com/2022/04/2...ply-continues/
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

i buy lots of my meats and cheeses from mennonite markets. most, but not all of it has gone through usda. when i get a whole hog or bulk meats it does not have any stamps or certification. in 20 yrs i have never had a problem. i hope this does not change things. i bet i can still buy fresh off the farm and butcher it myself if necessary.
    it's time to change the air in my head

Hmm, that makes me wonder......

I had a steer slaughtered at a small local place last week. Hmm......
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

"His crime was having happy customers who want organic food. Not one customer had a complaint."
    - The Liberty Loft

Well, based on the evidence, this farm has got to go.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Frankly, these kinds of stories annoy me---and they annoy a lot of Amish as well. This is a popular pastime of a lot of bleeding hearts that have editors and deadlines

This guy (like many others) is flaunting his "amishnisum" and creating a cause celeb. The very act of drawing attention to himself violates a basic tenant of plain people.

That said, this can be done very easily and stay within the laws. A friend of mine and I commonly team up to buy a legacy hog from a local farmer. We then contract a local butcher to slaughter, butcher and package the meat. We take "title" to the hog at the farm. Then the contracted butcher goes to the farm with his refrigerated trailer that is set up to safely begin to process the hog. He never owns the hog or the carcass---we own it. The hog is killed at the farm, he lifts it up with a jib crane on his trailer, burns the hair off, guts it and splits the carcass, slides it into the trailer on the rails and takes it home to his shop where he finishes the "contract".

There is no "retail sale" and he never has title to the meat.

Another comment is due here----while the old saying of cleanliness is next to Godliness is commonly know it is also commonly ignored by a lot of Amish and Mennonites. I have been in more than a few Amish houses that I just hoped they didn't offer me something to eat As that relates to meat processing---they also have, at best, minimal refrigeration and no AC so the chances of processing meat in a cool place would only happen in winter.

The bottom line here is that this guy wants to sell retail meat cuts and skirt the law in doing so.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

the people i get my heritage hogs from are sold to me live. we butcher at home, when possible i like to feed them for a week-ish before we butcher. there have been a few times that i've had some hard cider i made, 20gals+ or so that did not suit me and i fed it to the hogs in their last weeks. the hogs seemed to really enjoy it. we called it marinate on the hoof.
    it's time to change the air in my head

I have many fond memories of butchering, both as a child and as an adult. They were enjoyable social events---at least for the people

Added in edit:

Pigs are not encumbered by a discerning palate. Ours enjoyed being the cleanup crew, table scrapes, spoiled milk, spent garden plants---it didn't seem to matter to them
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-28-2022 at 08:41 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I bought a pig once, slaughtered it in the garage, dressed it out, and roasted it on a spit at my Mom's house. My wife will NEVER allow me to do it again, I think she still grieves for the pig.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The neighbor behind me has mentioned that he raises hogs on property that his parents owned and we were discussing using an wall mount A/C unit to cool his walk-in refrigerator he built in his garage. In the fall the dumpsters next to the pontoon garage really get to stinking and during the summer I have to keep taking pork chop bones from my dog.

I'm not saying a think about the neighbor on the corner that has two smokers on his back patio or the one on a trailer parked in the back alley. Every Saturday or Sunday it's painful to go outside and breath. Friends visited last summer and acted like I didn't smell the bar b q, like to drove him crazy.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson