Thread: rws model 48 (diana) .177 pelet gun

rws model 48 (diana) .177 pelet gun

anybody ever play with one of these springers? i've had mine since the mid 90's. had it changed to the competion spring (1200fps) about 15yrs ago. it's time to do it again my shot pattern has gone from nickel size to 3" at 70 yards.
    i'd like to change it myself this time, but have never messed with one of these.
    i have a new spring, seals and spring compressor for it. it is suppose to bring my little .177 to 1550 fps
    any info appriciated.
    it's time to change the air in my head

Dayum!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

yeah...sounds almost like a .22 rifle when it goes off. i just want the accuracy back. i'm guessing i've put 8,000 shots on the old spring, and it is getting weak causing the inaccuracy. it also has a very slight rattle when i shoot it, so maybe the spring broke. i use it for vermin and taget plinking. you would not believe the attention that gun gets when i take it to the range to shoot. everyone wants to try!
    i shoot gammo red fires always. mean and nasty little pellet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red fire.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	39029

My brother had a pellet gun back in the '70's that could shoot those. It was air powered and it took about 4 pumps of the compression handle to fully charge it. I liked it, 'cause it was more accurate and much quieter than the 22 rifles we had.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

mine is a springer, cock it once and it is at full power and very accurate. not so quiet though.

Got me to thinking... when I was young I had so many friends with those old Daisy BB guns. Looked 'em up and, sure thing, they're still in business and selling.

My friends and I would wear goggles and hunt each other in my neighborhood. Heck, the BBs would sting but not penetrate.

Hutner
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I was never aloud to have a BB gun as a kid----my parents did not think I had the "maturity" to not shoot at things like songbirds and cats

Probably at about 50 years in age I won a Daisy Red Rider in a gun raffle----I was as happy as a pig in chit

I immediately took up hunting songbirds and cats-------J/K

However, I did take up harassing the hell out of the squirrels in my bird feeders---to the point that after a few years I wore it out

I learned that the only possible kill shot was in the ear-----but I also learned that even more enjoyment was to get a direct hit on their balls during mating season---I could immediately convert them from grey squirrels into flying squirrels with the vertical takeoff option.

I replaced that with a pellet gun, shortly followed by a .22----now that was a new game

Not that I would ever kill one out of season
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-28-2022 at 10:38 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

going to try to do the rebuild laborday weekend. i'll try to do before and after video shots.

I have a couple of Sheridan Blue Streak pump airguns, one I got for my 14th birthday making it 56 years old. It is in 5mm and needs new seals. I love this rifle. The other is much newer in .177 cal. I don't much like this one, the bullet is too light for the work it takes to push it out of the barrel.

I also have a modern Walther CO2 rifle configured to look like a Winchester model 94, I think. It shoots well but is a pain in the butt to load the little discs that hold the .177 cal pellets.

When I was a very young lad of probably somewhere around 8 years of age, I was given a Daisy Model 1894 springer which took me through all of the wild west fantasies a young boy could have. I broke that rifle in half hitting a snake with it. I still have a love for the gun and now have 3, new in the box, Daisy model 1894's I have picked up over the years. So far, I haven't found the exact model I had as a kid, there are a lot of varieties of the 1894. Don't confuse them with the model 94 which is a different rifle.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

It's got me thinking - I've not seen any kidss in our neighborhood with BB guns. Maybe the kids out in the country (e.g., not the suburbs) have them? And, if they do have BB guns, I hope we can trust the kids to use them appropriately (i.e., not hunt each other as we did).

Hunter