Thread: I'm on my soap box

I'm on my soap box

----but I just have to rant

I am disgusted by the pall of dishonesty that overhangs us on a daily basis with seemingly no effort to contain it.

This morning I am going through the mail and I have a post card from SmartEnergy telling me that they have a $100 Visa card just waiting for me to call. It suggests that this is in gratitude for 6 months of service. Of course it is

There are only two problems:

1. They are not my energy supplier.
    2. I am familiar with the name since they "enjoy" a reputation on the energy marketplace of being scam artists-----but they are still there

This is just one example of stumbling blocks that show up almost on a daily basis----and I find it particularly maddening that senior citizens seem to be the most often sucked into these scams!

I know----buyer beware-----but this is like having to search for nails in your driveway every time you want to get the car out

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I get free offers every day......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Now that is sick Ben
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My Father and his Wife were scammed by a company that took $17,000 from them. But, an astute Daughter of theirs got 10G of that back for them.

So, in order to avoid more of the above, my siblings and I have convinced our parents to run all of their financial decisions through us. We did not want to do that, but our parents are at risk from scammers. Wifey has done the same thing with her family.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Funny Dave you should mention this. I do just about everything on line but a nephew was sending me a tee-shirt so I went to get my mail. Out of 15 pieces three were important the rest just get filed. Of late I have been getting e-mails for the Norton Anti-Virus that I have ordered. Problem is several years ago I cancelled it and deleted the program. So for one desktop computer I'm going to order hundred of dollars of anti-virus. What I like is the e-mail service I use has a .fm suffix so I don't see much but they must have "found us". They have a very coinvent button at the bottom of the app to report spam if they happen to miss it. The e-mail app show the header so when I get one it shows everyone they have sent the "invoice" to which is a big tipoff.

I worry about my older sister because I know if they get her on a phone they will do the fear of not doing what they ask.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Its a shame that not a day goes by without some low life either calls or messages trying to scam. Interesting how so many are blatantly trying to convince me they are legit. I either let loose on them or string them along a bit for a bit of fun. They deserve no respect.

Just before my 65th birthday when I was ready to go on Medicare I probably got 10 to 12 solicitations through the mail a week for about a month and probably four to five spam phone calls a day for 2 months. And there was not a damn thing I could do about it.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Man, didn't our government say it was coming down on spammers? I don't see a difference, looking at the scam messages I still get.

Well, except for the Nigerian royal I'm sending money orders.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead