Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun control makes NYC a safer place to worship...

Gun control makes NYC a safer place to worship...

Especially if you are part of an armed gang arriving at church in your Mercedes...
    Bishop Lamor Whitehead says three men waving guns stole hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry from him and his wife.
    Just a thought here, it might be more prudent for a bishop to leave several hundred thousand dollars worth of jewelry in the safe at home instead of flashing it from the pulpit...No report of legally armed parishioners attempting to forestall the incident......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Crooks robbing crooks
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Crooks robbing crooks
    That forces a question: Was a crime committed?...I suppose an enterprising DA could make a case for receiving stolen property......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

They say to get rich become a preacher or politican.

Guess the first guy preaching wearing sandals and saying love thy neighbor wasn't a good example to follow.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Damn shame the Reverend Grab A Dollar lost all that bling----and his wife's bling as well! But, not to worry, I'm sure the good preacher is already charging his "flock" to come up with plenty of donations to buy more bling

I have to wonder how those agents of the devil knew to stop in his church on Sunday morning just to see what they might find

Yes sir Jesus----we will rise from the ashes of this sin even stronger and more endowed in your name dear Jesus----AMEN brother AMEN------Hallelujah, praise Jesus and pass the plate brother
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I don't believe there are any legally armed parishioners in any church in my state. In NY, even with a concealed carry permit, only off-duty cops can carry in a church, or so I'm told.

Of course, one way to look at it is that although the bishop was, shall we say, "divested" of an eye-popping amount of bling, no shots were fired so everyone went home alive. That beats a shoot-out in the pews, though I wonder if the good bishop might want to start carrying a piece once his flock learns how much of their contributions went into his pocket. Plowshares may be beaten back into swords, at least metaphorically, before this episode is done.

Most Americans follow the law. Yet, having said that, our people will arm themselves if they feel unsafe. I've known several New Yorkers through the years and they tend to do what they think is best, regardless of what the law dictates.

Now, with the above, I'm not saying New Yorkers are lawless. I'm just pointing out that some people living with fear will be more likely to arm themselves. Heck, if only 1% of New York City residents do so, there'd be 88,000 firearms on the street (8.8 million times .01). And, that's simply the city itself.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Update on "Bishop" Grab A Dollar:

The value of the stolen bling (or possibly "re-stolen") has now been upped to $1 million-----but the good Bishop says the source of that money is not his flock. It comes from his successful real estate business----right Bishop. I'm sure he won't accept anything from his faithful followers to replace the loss.

I hope the IRS has perked up their ears

Yeah, I'd ask him to produce receipts for that bling the moment he files an insurance claim. I'm willing to bet that, given his character issues, some things get claimed that are of dubious provenance.

Yeah, I doubt any of us believe it's merely coincidental that his stolen bling was bought with real estate profits. As mentioned above, the IRS should take a good look at it.

Personally, I've never been audited by the IRS. Twice in the last 50 years, the IRS requested additional documentation - which was easily fixed. On the other hand, my Brother was audited for the first 5 years he owned his business. The IRS was suspicious about the fact my Brother lost money for those 5 years, which he did. Again, that was resolved by sending more docs to the IRS.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

As one might expect---this gets better with time

In a long article in the Times this morning the bishop grab-a-dollar is further exposed. Here is a small "companion" article from the mail. It seems the good bishop ordained himself after getting out of prison---apparently he went immediately to the rank of bishop without passing go or any "introductory levels. His "cathedral" is upstairs above a Haitian restaurant in Brooklyn. This dude has a financial history that would make al capone and jimmy baker jealous.

It amazes me how so many people will give money to their church - after seeing their leader show up in a Roll Royce. Where there's smoke...

Hunter

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Historically It can be a good business and provide a good living.. We here in Virginia have the Fallwells and Roberson ..

I gave up worrying about giving to my own church when I saw my priest pull up to my bank as I was leaving. He was driving a Buick Park Avenue. New. The nuns don't tool around in that sort of ride but they do all the work.

So I figure the Church has enough dough without me adding much to the pile.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    https://mol.im/a/11084623

Buick Park Avenue ain’t nuttin!