Thread: OK Ben---the final report

OK Ben---the final report

First, my wife, who never shared my interest in guns and was highly skeptical of my "investment defense" has now been soothed

Overall results showed a 194 % gain, sale price versus buy price. Most of the investment grade guns were purchased in the early 90's.

The high return was the Citori Grade VI which stood tall at 514% gain----apparently there were two or more in heat over that beauty!

The only "loss leader" was a Taurus 38 Spl, in new condition----never fired and carried only by a little old man to gun shows Buy, $247, Sell $210 (15% loss)

The biggest down side is---they are gone
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Tell her if it was only money you wanted when you started, you might have done better elsewhere, but you wouldn't have had the pleasure of knowing that the guy who owned all those fine firearms over the years was sleeping with your wife......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Excellent idea

It was an honor to have been the preserver of the fine graded SXS shotguns for 30 years. At one time they lived on the wall in my den and it was easy for me to enjoy their beauty, often simply by sitting there. If I choose I would put on a pair of cotton gloves and hold them to better enjoy the impeccable workmanship and skills of the gunmakers.
    Over time I relented to reality and confined them as safe queens, only to come out for special occasions and scheduled cleaning.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I don't handle mine with cotton gloves, but I do wipe the fingerprints and drool off with a dry cotton rag after handling (either by me or people at the gun shows)...Mine are all waxed with Renaissance Wax, so cleanup is easy...They all stay in the safe in their individual silicone treated socks until they go to the gun show to their home under glass...That's really the only time I ever get to see them......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I don't handle mine with cotton gloves, but I do wipe the fingerprints and drool off with a dry cotton rag after handling (either by me or people at the gun shows)...Mine are all waxed with Renaissance Wax, so cleanup is easy...They all stay in the safe in their individual silicone treated socks until they go to the gun show to their home under glass...That's really the only time I ever get to see them......Ben
    I know how you feel, my safe looked like a giant sock factory inside-----but I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. They saved me countless small dings and dents

Back before relenting to the safe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0002_G.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	39014

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-09-09 01.12.02.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	39015

As a matter of general interest how much do auction houses charge for their services in a transaction such as yours?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

There is a 20% buyers fee added to each item and a sliding scale from about 20% to 10% sellers fee. Most of these guns will be on the low end of that scale.

Outstanding. I was about to ask the same thing. Thank you Dave, and Honda, for the info.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead