Thread: Auction preview

Auction preview

The auction for my guns closes tomorrow but I just took a look at were they are now and I am overall reasonably pleased, knowing that tomorrow should result in some last minute bids.

As expected the SXS shotguns are leading the parade with the Fox and the Parker within $500 of each other.

The highest ROI clearly go to the "lesser" of the collection, a Marlin 336, 35 Rem is at $550, I paid $69 for that in 1972----and killed a lot of deer with it!
    The other star is my Savage 342, 22 hornet at $325 which I bought used in 1959 for $16----the groundhogs that sent to their final den are uncountable

Just to be an obnoxious show off, I used to shoot 5 shot groups with the Hornet into a bottle cap at 100 yards---just because I could
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-18-2022 at 12:46 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Marlin lever guns of all configurations are in high demand at the shows right now......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Marlin lever guns of all configurations are in high demand at the shows right now......Ben
    I would guess because Marlin ain't no more.......
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I would guess because Marlin ain't no more.......
    Sadly so......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

That one is a shocker to me

Another shocker is a Browning Citori Grade VI. It is a beautiful gun with heavy engraving and gold inlays on both sides and bottom of the receiver and trigger guard but not one I could ever warm up to---simply because it is all machine engraving rather than done by a skilled engraver. Different strokes for different folks

As a group all the Brownings are doing well---even my loosey goosey BT-99 (single shot trap gun) which has many many thousands of rounds shot through it is standing tall.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-18-2022 at 03:08 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Had a beautiful Marlin 30-30.. bought it in almost new (new in 1966/67) condition in 1970 from a buddy.. my brother borrowed it in x1990.. after a couple of years I mentioned that I may need it in several months.. brother replied, oh.. I traded that for a shotgun.. uh.. I thought that you gave it to me..

Oh well.. funny thing is that I never got mad at him..

But I do miss the Marlin..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    But I do miss the Marlin..
    As an example of the demand, I watched a friend of mine negotiate a deal last weekend for three Marlins (336, 1894 and 1895) down to $2700 for all three...He was happy as a clam to get them......Ben

I see this same emotional evaluation going on all the time----oriental rugs were all the rage a number of years ago. When an item far exceeds it's intrinsic value I am no longer interested---simply because as shown by oriental rugs, that value can vaporize as quickly as it came about.

And from Sandman's last post:

.. uh.. I thought that you gave it to me..
    I have kids that suffer from that same ailment