Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Griner

Griner

I think it is time to do a package deal. Griner, Whelan, whomever else for whatever Russian arms dealers Putin wants back. We can always catch them again and there are ways to defang them so time to do a swap. No deadbeat Russian is worth our citizens sitting in a Russian jail. I don't think Putin gives a **** about whatever point we are making by keeping these criminals so make the trade.

Nope not even a fan of trading. If you did the crime you do the time.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I have no sympathy and do not think we should give Russia any concessions. She had to know the consequences of getting caught smuggling drugs into Russia. She can do her time.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Wow. Hard asses!

How do we know she was "smuggling drugs" into Russia? It is quite possible that she never gave it another thought because what she was doing was legal here. Or not prosecuted. We aren't dealing with scholars here.

As for trading, we do it all the time, so what's the problem here?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    We aren't dealing with scholars here. As for trading, we do it all the time, so what's the problem here?
    But we are dealing with international travelers who should know better...

Trades should be done when the results are in our favor...Ask the guy who often trades at gun shows......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Wow. Hard asses!

How do we know she was "smuggling drugs" into Russia? It is quite possible that she never gave it another thought because what she was doing was legal here. Or not prosecuted. We aren't dealing with scholars here.

She goes to Russia every year. She knew it would b illegal.

Same young lady that always avoided the national anthem and demanded that the flag and the anthem be removed.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

It is illegal here, why would she not think to ask about Russia? Hell, I'm sure she didn't even have to ask, her handlers would have made it plain what is acceptable and is not.

It would be great if we can get her out, but not by granting any concessions to the enemy.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Can we trade them Trump for her?
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

1) No Russian scumbag criminal is worth keeping if it means leaving any American in Putin's Russia

2) I don't ask individual citizens to be used as pawns of our foreign policy, so the idea of concessions is not an issue for me

3) I don't ask people to share my beliefs in order to support what I consider justice for them

4) It isn't legal everywhere but most places treat vape marijuana as not something worth prosecuting so there is an attitude of acceptance here that she might have gotten used to

5) "She should have known" is something that could be said of all sorts of things people do. I don't ask people to sit 10 years in a Russian jail for something this minor that "she should have known" and call it justice.

6) Did anyone consider that she might actually be telling the truth about packing in a hurry and not thinking about it?

7) I think people here and in reality, just about anywhere, need to consider why it is that we as a society have become so interested in seeing people get what we consider their comeuppance for a minor transgression. Every response on this thread to my posts has lacked one thing - any sense of mercy that might temper justice. Folks might want to consider just why it is that we can only see the crime and not the person and are willing to see someone used as a pawn for our foreign policy or sit for 10 years in a Russian jail for a crime that affects no one but Griner herself. Seems pretty damned harsh.

I know people roll their eyes when I quote something but over my life, I've read things that have been very meaningful to me, things that have forced me to think deeply about what it is I believe in my heart. In the Merchant of Venice, Antonio has defaulted on a loan given to him by Shylock. The loan's terms call for a pound of Antonio's flesh if he defaults. Portia is Antonio's lawyer and asks the court for mercy on Antonio:

The quality of mercy is not strained;
    It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
    Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest;
    It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:
    'T is mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
    The throned monarch better than his crown:
    His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
    The attribute to awe and majesty,
    Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
    But mercy is above this sceptred sway;
    It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings,
    It is an attribute to God himself;
    And earthly power doth then show likest God's
    When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,
    Though justice be thy plea, consider this,
    That, in the course of justice, none of us
    Should see salvation: we do pray for mercy;
    And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
    The deeds of mercy. I have spoke thus much
    To mitigate the justice of thy plea;
    Which if thou follow, this strict court of Venice
    Must needs give sentence 'gainst the merchant there.
    Portia admits that the case against her client is undeniable and justice would demand that the court decide for Shylock and take a pound of Antonio's flesh. She asks for mercy anyway, knowing that Antonio does not deserve it. She does so because mercy, freely given, is a blessing on both the giver and the receiver. Being Christians, we receive unmerited mercy from Jesus, who takes away the sins of the world, so that we may know God. We do pray for mercy in hopes of receiving it and doing so teaches us to render the deeds of mercy to each other.

I realize that as a Christian, I am in the minority here. However, this passage was very important to me when deciding the contours of my own faith and it is something I think about daily. Mercy is important if for the very selfish reason that a society without mercy is a cold-hearted and sterile one. I prefer to live a life extending mercy to others without regard to whether they deserve it because it makes the world and me better.

For what it is worth...

I recognize that my prior posts regarding the death of Putin were un-Christian. I actually thought about that issue when I said he should be killed.

Having said the above, in Ukraine, Putin has killed thousands of people - and that includes his own soldiers. Personally, I think he is guilty of war crimes. I cannot fly over to Russia and do it myself. That's why I've talked about having our CIA do the dirty work. They've done it before and I believe they'll do it again.

Our friend Kevin is right. We should consider the un-Christian efforts we are making. Acknowledging that concept, I still choose to target the Russian hierarchy responsible for deaths in Ukraine.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I still choose to target the Russian hierarchy responsible for deaths in Ukraine.

Hunter
    If a bullseye birthmark suddenly appeared between the eyes of Putin while he was shaving some morning, he might want to take it as a sign......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Re: Un-Christian.. ..

The heretic nuns at Saint Mary’s taught…. You can’t stop an impulse.. but you can top acting on it.. and make a conscious effort to get one’s thinking to conform.. so.. no daydreaming or fantasizing about it..

Interestingly, yesterday Putin made it clear he's just getting started in Ukraine, et al. However, when asked about re-taking Alaska, he strongly stated he would not pursue any moves on Alaska. Maybe he's not as dumb as I thought. He obviously knows we'd all be in a hot war if he did.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Seems that Biden is willing to make the trade. Arms dealer scumbag for two Americans. We'll see if Putin agrees but at least the offer was made.