Thread: SC got one right

SC got one right

The decision to allow the football coach to pray publicly was, I think, the right one. There is a balance between establishment and free exercise and while I've never understood the need to make a big show of one's faith, praying after a game is hardly dangerous to the separation of church and state.

Good grief, though - CNN is blaring away about an erosion of that separation. I just see it as maybe the pendulum swinging a bit back away from "too hostile to religion".

I think if he is on his "own" time he can pray anywhere he wants. If he is on the company clock, he needs to follow the company rules.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think if he is on his "own" time he can pray anywhere he wants. If he is on the company clock, he needs to follow the company rules.
    I'm pretty sure silent, unannounced prayers get heard by the intended recipient......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The decision to allow the football coach to pray publicly was, I think, the right one. There is a balance between establishment and free exercise and while I've never understood the need to make a big show of one's faith, praying after a game is hardly dangerous to the separation of church and state.

Good grief, though - CNN is blaring away about an erosion of that separation. I just see it as maybe the pendulum swinging a bit back away from "too hostile to religion".
    More folly to follow. They are already talking about the supreme Court taking away gay marriage, taking away the laws against segregation, it goes on and on. 2022 midterm fodder.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I heard an editorial that stated the prayer was after every game (not spontaneous) and the school districts was concerned that there was pressure for the players to join in…. It was about the pressure to join, not the actual prayer..

Also what Mike sez.. GoldenRule, he who has the gold makes the rules..

Even as a fed, I was not prohibited from displaying religious symbols at my desk or praying while at work. I don't make a show of my religion because that's not how I was raised but nothing kept me from having silent prayer before a meal. Muslims had a room they could go into at work for their observances. So accommodation within reason seems to be OK.

Pressure to join is a tricky thing. If the guy just goes out there and does his thing, I don't think of that as pressure. Folks who are not religious might. This decision seems like a "one - off" rather than setting some new standard so I doubt it means a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Even as a fed, I was not prohibited from displaying religious symbols at my desk or praying while at work. I don't make a show of my religion because that's not how I was raised but nothing kept me from having silent prayer before a meal. Muslims had a room they could go into at work for their observances. So accommodation within reason seems to be OK.

Pressure to join is a tricky thing. If the guy just goes out there and does his thing, I don't think of that as pressure. Folks who are not religious might. This decision seems like a "one - off" rather than setting some new standard so I doubt it means a whole lot.
    Think you might read articles from some "families" that felt pressure to "join in" the group.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Think you might read articles from some "families" that felt pressure to "join in" the group.
    How they felt is meaningless. The only thing the law was addressing was the act of the coach. If we were to make laws on how people's feelings were hurt, well I don't think I want to go there.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Good point, Honda.

This is kind of what I was alluding to. There is no evidence that the coach put any pressure on anyone to join in. He was not shown to have retaliated against those who did not. But people who are not religious are suspicious of people who are, especially when that person can affect their lives. To me, it is emblematic of how much we've changed as a country, to the point where we simply don't trust each other any more.

I must adamit, I thought it ineresting to regularly hear prayers in public when I moved to Utah. But, when I understood that's what the public expected and wanted, I grew to appreciate the thoughtful gesture. I do not recall hearing any complaints about that, as people seemed to appreciate it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead