Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to leave?

Anyone want to leave?

Not the CB, but the US?

Things are feeling a lot like the decades before the Civil War to me. I think we are headed for a blow up, not right away but maybe within my lifetime, certainly within my children's lifetime. I've seen this movie in different eras, different nations, different continents and it NEVER ends well.

So I've been investigating moving to a different country. Seriously. I don't want to be here for what I think is coming. Unfortunately, what I found is that unless you have a lot of money, which I don't, other countries really don't want to know about you. The rich always have options, of course, but schlubs like me who have a good retirement income find it isn't good enough to be let in anywhere else.

Except Portugal. Good ex pat community, good food, good health care, welcoming to retirees. And Uruguay, of all places. Go figure.

Anyone else getting antsy about the tenor of the times?

I have pondered that idea over the years. There are some places that I think would be desirable. But at this point I have several options for places that would unlikely be affected by ubiquitous civil discourse. But if you ask me one place right off the cuff it would probably be somewhere that was a stable democracy and had good health care.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I like it right here in the Republic of Texas, and this is where I'll stay......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Texas isn't really part of the US so technically...

There is a descendant of the Stuckey family who is trying to revive the roadside stores. She was commenting about what sells in the stores that have reopened. She says the "Jesus merch" (her words) or religious stuff moves well but not the state specific stuff. Except stuff that says Texas. She says that Texans are really really into being from Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I have pondered that idea over the years. There are some places that I think would be desirable. But at this point I have several options for places that would unlikely be affected by ubiquitous civil discourse. But if you ask me one place right off the cuff it would probably be somewhere that was a stable democracy and had good health care.
    Did you ever find a place that intrigued you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Texas isn't really part of the US so technically....
    So far we've allowed the 49 border states free access with no customs inspection...That is subject to change depending entirely on attitude and observed behavior......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I had plans to move to Belize after retirement. The police chief from Belize City and some other officials visited my department and convinced me that I had the right plan. Then I got married and everything went out the window. I still like the idea but I'm too old to be starting over in a different country. I'll stick it out in the Republic of Texas.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

My nephew has a B&B on the Cote d’Azur in France, I’d like it except for the language barrier, no way can I learn another language, I barely get by in this one,
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

Wife’s daughter and her family just bought a home in Costa Rica, awesome, but it cost several million, he’s from a wealthy family, lucky her. It’s like their third home now, I think, I can’t keep track.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

Austria? Scandinavia? Supposed to have very good quality of life there.

On the other hand there are probably many places in the good ole USA that ya could hide out and just lay back. You speak the language, know the customs, how bad do you think it’s going to get?
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

I love Austria but they make it real tough to retire there. Ditto Scandinavia.

I live way back in the woods. I am not concerned for my physical safety but I've done the 1960s, from right in the center of the action. The anger, the constant conflict, people always at each other, screaming ugly things at each other. The psychological toll is not something I am looking forward to. I just want to be left alone.

I gave serious thought to Italy but then I forgot to retire. The loss of family and friends now make it unattractive.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Kevin, can you describe what will happen that concerns you?

You are one of the most effective and efficient communicators I know. If you are struggling to get through our system, or if you think our system will fail, I want to know how we can help, or what we can do for ourselves and our families.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I love Austria but they make it real tough to retire there. Ditto Scandinavia.

I live way back in the woods. I am not concerned for my physical safety but I've done the 1960s, from right in the center of the action. The anger, the constant conflict, people always at each other, screaming ugly things at each other. The psychological toll is not something I am looking forward to. I just want to be left alone.
    Yeah I'm fortunate enough to have several places way back in the woods and you know with my small skid and my tractor can put some pretty nice bunkers around it. We have a long growing season so that's not a problem. The only I thing I worry about is pharmaceuticals
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Italy.. I’m told by cousins that I qualify for some sort of special treatment because of grandmother but it’s a moot point, been there.. it’s ok to visit..

Mother in law’s family is from Moncton New Brunswick.. have spent a lot of time in Canada.. Around Kingston ON is beautiful (across from Watertown NY).. but it’s just too late to start over.. I don’t even want to deal with a new state.

I look back at my grandfather, when he was my age he was telling me how the country’s politics were destroying the country.. that was fifty rears ago and now I’m hearing the same song from my contemporaries.. history is repeating itself..

And Virginia schools taught us Pride in the Commonwealth.. after all.. it all started here..