Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone want to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    The only I thing I worry about is pharmaceuticals
    We have a slightly different concern here with the woods a few miles east being full of unlicensed pharmacists...What they're manufacturing, I don't want to be around......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

My family came here in 1718 and bought land from one of Wm Penn's sons for their family home and farm---about 7 miles from where I now sit. I guess we just aren't "movers"
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    My family came here in 1718 and bought land from one of Wm Penn's sons for their family home and farm---about 7 miles from where I now sit. I guess we just aren't "movers"
    In 1718 my family still “conveyed with the property “ when the castle changed hands.. 50ish years later they were dodging the Baron of Hess draft.. he was leasing an army to the Brits..

In 1718 we didn’t own property, the property owned us..

UTAH,

I see the following trends:

People no longer engage on issues but on what they think of people who hold positions. People are demonized because of what they believe.
    Institutions are failing. People see the Supreme Court as being another partisan institution. The Electoral College gives us Presidents who lost by millions of votes. A President who lost the popular vote is responsible for putting SC justices in place that are rewriting social contract. It only takes 5 votes to nullify a constitutional right, whatever you think of that right and how it was originally decided. And in reality, it is only one vote since if four are united, as seems to be the case with Alito, Gorsuch, Barrett and Thomas, all it takes is to convince a less dogmatic Justice such as Kavanaugh. When people start to understand that five people on a partisan Supreme Court are in charge, not their public representatives, there will be trouble.
    Political parties have been captured by their extreme members.
    Congress is paralyzed and cannot respond to societal issues.
    Social media has put us into echo chambers. The only people who benefit are those that make money off our isolation and anger.
    Half the people in the US are fine with an attempted violent coup and overturning the votes of millions of their fellow citizens if it meant keeping their favored politician in office.
    Half of the people in the US just found out that their state can try to force them to carry a baby to term against their wishes. This will be a profound source of social unrest.

There is a storm coming and I don't want to be here to be a part of it. Consider something else - the psychological trauma of constant fighting everywhere you turn. The news media loves conflict, it sells. So that is what they will serve up. Daily, constantly. The toll on our mental health will be immense.

I have a former manager from the Grand Canyon that talked of moving to Belize when she was forced out of her job. When her husband retired, they headed south with their son. They ended up in Panama and they like it but the son went off to collage in California. She said they have several benefits for those expats that want to move there. Medical is pay as you go and isn't expensive. Meat is expensive but fruit is fresh and cheep. She posted that fuel is more expensive than other countries around them.

So if your are wanting to explore options you might want to look intp Panama. I just mailed my renewal for my passport this week.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    ........ I just mailed my renewal for my passport this week.
    I've never had need of a passport. Maybe I should get one just in case.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I've never had need of a passport. Maybe I should get one just in case.
    It never hurts to have it, mine is renewed...Everything is handled at your local post office......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

That was an excellent and informative response, Kevin. It explained to me the issues you face.

As I consider my reaction, I realize it represents the self-imposed selfishness of my life. Wifey and I were fortunate to be surrounded by good people (including my friends here) that educated us regarding navigating the world. To put it succinctly, we were successful - our life goals have been met.

I'm not saying I'm O.K., and to heck with others. For, I still struggle, but I only go into a battle stance as a last necessity.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead