Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe v. Wade is Done

Roe v. Wade is Done

I agree with this reasoning and have long thought the original decision was wrong because of it.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday took the dramatic step of overturning the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that recognized a woman's constitutional right to an abortion and legalized it nationwide, handing a momentous victory to Republicans and religious conservatives who want to limit or ban the procedure.

The court, in a 6-3 ruling powered by its conservative majority, upheld a Republican-backed Mississippi law that bans abortion after 15 weeks. The vote was 5-4 to overturn Roe, with Chief Justice John Roberts writing separately to say he would have upheld the Mississippi law but not taken the additional step of erasing the precedent altogether.

The justices held that the Roe v. Wade decision that allowed abortions performed before a fetus would be viable outside the womb - between 24 and 28 weeks of pregnancy - was wrongly decided because the U.S. Constitution makes no specific mention of abortion rights.
    REUTERS
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I hope that it turns out to be a good thing, I'm just not convinced that it will be.

I would like to see no abortions as a matter of personal conscience rather than a matter of law.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Despite all the gnashing of teeth and threats of violence, nothing in this decision will prevent abortions. Many states will still allow abortion and those who don't will have employers who will pay for women to go wherever they need to get an abortion. There will be programs established to help women who are of lower income to be able to travel to get an abortion if it is prevented in their state.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I find it somewhat ironic that there are thousands of women screaming for the right to murder their unborn child .

There are so many options to prevent pregnancy that I have a hard time understanding the need for the HUGE number of abortions that are now done.

[**Edited by Mike for language. Apparently the poster attempted the edit but it didn't work. No problem.]
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Kevin , you are correct . I should not havre posted that statement and I apologize to the membership. As you can see , I have edited my post and removed the offending statement .

[**added by Mike: Something didn't work with your edit IV, but I took care of it for you. Thank you for your attempt!]
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Okey-dokey. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Despite all the gnashing of teeth and threats of violence, nothing in this decision will prevent abortions. Many states will still allow abortion and those who don't will have employers who will pay for women to go wherever they need to get an abortion. There will be programs established to help women who are of lower income to be able to travel to get an abortion if it is prevented in their state.
    I agree. This will probably make it inconvenient for a lot of folks, but I think it should be inconvenient.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Recent polls appear to show most Americans support the ability to have an abortion procedure performed. However, because a majority backs it, does not make it legal.

We are a county of law-abiding citizens. I doubt very much this SCOTUS decision will change that. What I don't want to see is SCOTUS vacillating as the member's politics change due to future appointments. Doing that would weaken a legal pillar of our community.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    ......What I don't want to see is SCOTUS vacillating as the member's politics change due to future appointments. Doing that would weaken a legal pillar of our community.

Hunter
    Doing that would destroy any credibility they might have.

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Recent polls appear to show most Americans support the ability to have an abortion procedure performed. However, because a majority backs it, does not make it legal.

We are a county of law-abiding citizens. I doubt very much this SCOTUS decision will change that. What I don't want to see is SCOTUS vacillating as the member's politics change due to future appointments. Doing that would weaken a legal pillar of our community.

Hunter
    Everything was rocking along pretty good until the ultra left started advocating for aborting babies in their 8th and 9th month by usually piercing them in the skull to kill them after they were removed from the womb. They took one step too far and it's come back to bite them.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'm afraid the age of vacillation is upon us:

The chief justice will face other challenges. Though Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., writing for the majority, said that “nothing in this opinion should be understood to cast doubt on precedents that do not concern abortion,” both liberal and conservative members of the court expressed doubts.

Justice Clarence Thomas, for instance, wrote in a concurring opinion that the court should go on to overrule three “demonstrably erroneous decisions” — on same-sex marriage, gay intimacy and contraception — based on the logic of Friday’s opinion.
    ...and it appears honor has been replaced by deceit:

WASHINGTON — During a two-hour meeting in her Senate office with the Supreme Court nominee Brett M. Kavanaugh on Aug. 21, 2018, Senator Susan Collins of Maine pressed him hard on why she should trust him not to overturn Roe v. Wade if she backed his confirmation.

Judge Kavanaugh worked vigorously to reassure her that he was no threat to the landmark abortion rights ruling.

“Start with my record, my respect for precedent, my belief that it is rooted in the Constitution, and my commitment and its importance to the rule of law,” he said, according to contemporaneous notes kept by multiple staff members in the meeting. “I understand precedent and I understand the importance of overturning it.”

“Roe is 45 years old, it has been reaffirmed many times, lots of people care about it a great deal, and I’ve tried to demonstrate I understand real-world consequences,” he continued, according to the notes, adding: “I am a don’t-rock-the-boat kind of judge. I believe in stability and in the Team of Nine.”

Persuaded, Ms. Collins, a Republican, gave a detailed speech a few weeks later laying out her rationale for backing the future justice that cited his stated commitment to precedent on Roe, helping clinch his confirmation after a bitter fight. On Friday, Justice Kavanaugh joined the majority in overturning the decision he told Ms. Collins he would protect.

His seeming turnabout in the case on Friday prompted Ms. Collins and another senator, Joe Manchin III of West Virginia, who gave Justice Kavanaugh crucial votes for his narrow confirmation to vent their anger, saying they felt their trust had been abused. Their indignation was echoed across the Capitol by lawmakers who said the court’s decision on Friday helped drain what was left of any credibility Supreme Court nominees have in their confirmation hearings.

“I feel misled,” Ms. Collins said in an interview, adding that the decision was in stark contrast to the assurances she had received privately from Justice Kavanaugh, who had made similar, if less exhaustive, pronouncements at his public hearing.

Mr. Manchin, the only Democrat to vote for Justice Kavanaugh, also expressed similar sentiments about Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, who made his own strong statements about adhering to precedent during his confirmation in 2017.

“I trusted Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh when they testified under oath that they also believed Roe v. Wade was settled legal precedent and I am alarmed they chose to reject the stability the ruling has provided for two generations of Americans,” said Mr. Manchin, who himself is anti-abortion
    Independent of the decision in this case, I am reforming an increasingly lower opinion of the SCOTUS. The title of "Honorable" is being tarnished.

Added in edit: Thanks for the edit IV, that original post did not sound like you.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 06-25-2022 at 10:37 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I think this ruling is going to evoke a quote from Yamamoto. I fear we have woken a sleeping giant and filled him with rage. Every woman I know is mad as hell right now and they vote
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    I think this ruling is going to evoke a quote from Yamamoto. I fear we have woken a sleeping giant and filled him with rage. Every woman I know is mad as hell right now and they vote
    And that rage is exactly what the Democrats will use going towards the midterms and 2024. It is what it is people have their right to vote,

Thinking about it a bit more of the women in California will see no change at all. But it surely will not be like that everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    And that rage is exactly what the Democrats will use going towards the midterms and 2024.........
    Yes, and I am very concerned about how this ruling will play out at the polls. We had a sure thing going to replace some Democrats in both the House and the Senate with Republicans. Now, I'm worried about keeping what we have.

I, pretty much, just sit on the sidelines watching what’s going on without really caring too much. Goes with getting old I guess, but just a thought here if you will.

It seems the Republicans had it all going for them what with woke district attorneys, rampant crowd shopliftings, and violence at every turn and now, suddenly, the tide seems to have turned with a conservative Supreme Court handing the ground swell of public opinion to the Democrats of all people.

Am I missing something?

Oh well, back to watching Jeopardy
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !