Thread: Today's hearing

Today's hearing

...will begin at 3 PM.

I'd like to offer another reason you might want to listen. This attempted insurrection, which it most certainly was, failed not because of the insurrectionists themselves but because good people, with principles, morals, backbones, dedication and ethics stood firmly against those who could not comprehend any of those things.

As much as I am increasingly angered by trump and his collection of tragic clowns, I am renewed and lifted up by those who stood up----from the least of them to the greatest of them, they became equal in standing firm against this attack on our democracy. I never heard of Rusty Bowers before Tuesday but I assure you I will remember his character and valor from this point on.

From USA Today:

An honorable man shows us the 'tragic parody' of Trump extremism still plaguing GOP

With many Republican politicians and pundits touting Trump’s ludicrous lie that the 2020 election was rigged, it felt almost retro to see a conservative public servant openly display such dignity.
    ...and from that remarkedly vanilla publication:

Rusty Bowers' testimony before the January 6 committee was like seeing an honorable ghost of Republican politicians from the days before ...
    May God bless you and your family Mr Bowers
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

On a side note: the weasel of the Justice Dept, jeff clark was paid a visit yesterday.

I hope they give him a cell close enough to trump that he can continue to kiss his orange ass

clark reminds me of the ultimate weasel crawling along on his belly

That makes me think DOJ is ramping up their evolvement in Jan 6
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Can we spare a moment to consider Mr. Clarke's journey?

He's a midlevel functionary, most likely because of previous assessments of his skills and expertise. He sees a way to run the whole department and a bat**** crazy Congressman - Perry of PA - becomes his white knight, introducing Clarke to Trump, who is willing to deal with anyone and everything as long as it gets Trump what he wants. No theory is too crazy for Trump, no plan too degrading or outrageous. So Clarke is being looked at favorably by those in power, maybe for the first time in his nondistinguished life. It is like the nerd about to go to the prom with the head cheerleader.

He starts flexing a bit and starts telling the existing heads of his agency that he's going to be the new sheriff in town and that they can all work for him if they wanted to. They laugh at the notion and demand to meet with Trump. In that multi-hour meeting, though, Clarke hears just how little he is thought of. The cool kids tell Trump that Clarke has never tried a criminal case, that he is inexperienced and incompetent. Ouch. Clarke protests that he has done litigation in the environmental field. He is told to go back to his office and they will let him know if there is an oil spill that they need investigated. Ouch. Trump is informed that if Trump installs Clarke, every senior AG will resign en masse rather than serve under Clarke. Ouch. Trump asks what Trump has to lose and is told that pretty much every US Attorney will also resign across the nation rather than serve under Clarke. Ouch. This goes on for HOURS and Clarke is informed in no uncertain terms that he is a bone head usurper who will destroy the DOJ and Trump himself. Many times. In the end, it is clear that there are some pretty hard feelings about all this but that Clarke cannot be fired so he will stay on at DOJ.

I would feel about an inch tall if I had been subjected to such a damning assessment of my character and my skill at my job. I wonder how Clarke feels? Knowing the head cheerleader not only decided she had to wash her hair that night but everyone - EVERYONE - knows of your humiliation.

I was reminded of the Peter principle when watching this - people rise in an organization until they reach a level where they are incompetent. I am glad that Rosen, Donoghue and Engel did not let that happen with Clarke.

I hope you are not looking for sympathy for Clark my friend for there will be none from me.

Oh, I think that truly evil people, with no redeeming qualities, are pretty rare. Even Lucifer, banished from the sight of God for all eternity, seems like an object of pity in some ways. It's that charity thing again. We talked about it.

I ran out of charity for the likes of trump and his band of sorry clowns years ago

We need to support the many people like Pence who stood their ground during the last administration. I'm betting, that in the future, we'll hear Pence knew he was tanking his political future - and yet he still defended our Democracy.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead