Thread: I scored!!!!

I scored!!!!

I had a schedule conflict yesterday and had to put my grocery shopping off until today----which also pushed me into the next sale week (they run from Friday until Thursday).

That didn't really bother me because there was very little on sale that I needed and I knew that Porterhouse steaks were going to be on sale beginning today at $8.99/lb.

What I didn't know until I went through my email this morning was that they were having a 3 day special Father's Day Sale----including live Maine hard shell lobsters @ $9.99/lb

There are 4, 1 1/2 lb. lovelies just chilling out in the refrigerator now-----looking forward to being the guests of honor at the dinner table tonight

I did not see the regular "fish monger" at the counter and the guy who waited on me is a meat cutter who I have gotten to know well----so I asked him to please pick out the 4 cutest ones he had
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm thinking that I should feel guilty----but I don't

I made a mixed salad with a romaine lettuce base and the four lobsters--one at a time, nice and slow---with a glass of good wine

My wife and I trade off, front for me, tail for her---and then switch on the next one. They were delicious

15 minutes in the pot, 15 minutes to eat one-----it was a 60 minute orgy that was made more decadent by the Irish butter

We have to go to a memorial service tomorrow or I might be temped to repeat this----but there is always Sunday if they have any left
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

This thread reminds me of how we Humans gain such pleasure from the basic act of eating. What's one of the things I love about Cruising? Yep, the food.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Our (American) relationship with food, in general, differs with much of the rest of the world. Many of use eat to live, it is a basic necessary function and we do it with the greatest "efficiency" as possible. Fast food seems to dominate. That is distinctly different than much of the rest of the world who treats eating as an enjoyable social function to be lingered over and savored. The French and Italians are both pros at converting a basic function into an enjoyable social event. As I write that, I think about the Spanish and their "lingering" for hours over tapas while they move from place to place. The examples are filling my mind. I think we forgo a valuable avenue to life's pleasures---and satisfaction.

I like it, Dave.

If money is of no object, I prefer a slow and methodical food delivery, which usually takes about two hours to complete, starting at 8 pm. It's a perfect way to top off a good day. And, having friends and family there, makes it complete.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Restaurants in Italy, which are beyond the normal tourists trade, do not open until 8 PM and have one seating. Seldom will the meal be complete before 11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post

If money is of no object, I prefer a slow and methodical food delivery,
    On a London trip many years ago I booked us for dinner at Drake's on the recommendation of a friend.

When we arrived we were ushered into a sitting room with easy chairs and couches around coffee tables and a big burning fireplace. Not a dinner table in sight.

We were offered the drinks menu and after our drinks came a waiter asked us if we would like to see the dinner menu.

Sometime later we were asked if we'd like another drink or to proceed to the dinning room, which we did.

It wasn't until later I figured it out. When you booked a table there it was yours for the entire evening, as long as it took.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

In my travels, I found the Greeks about tied with the Spanish with a 11 PM start for dinner---that never worked well for me It wasn't the eating---it was the sleeping that suffered

In Italy we had cafeterias in the plants. The table was set with a table cloth, a bottle each of red and white wine and both sparkling and "still" water. Any bottle nearing empty would be promptly refilled.
    Lunch was one hour for both the shop workers and the office. By law, if we did not provide lunch (which was exquisite) we would have had to given everyone two hours off to go home for lunch. Meals were simple, pasta was universal and simply exceptional---because there was a bunch of Italian Mamas back there making it

This thread made me think of my travels.

So, on a trip, Wifey and I were in Barcelona. On the first day, we hit lunchtime, and the whole city pretty much stopped moving. Even in this modern day and time, they still do siesta time. I liked that traditional approach.

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    This thread made me think of my travels.

So, on a trip, Wifey and I were in Barcelona. On the first day, we hit lunchtime, and the whole city pretty much stopped moving. Even in this modern day and time, they still do siesta time. I liked that traditional approach.

Hunter
    That sure brings new meaning to thinking I'll run out at lunch time and pick up something at the store or run to the bank

To me, it seemed as though the Spanish were focused more on the quality of life rather than the quantity. Even in the quality of work they were putting into their new Barcelona cathedral, it was obvious they cared.

Hunter