Thread: Now this is serious

Now this is serious

Sriracha Shortage Is Taking Some Spice Out of Life

An abysmal spring harvest of Mexican chiles caused an “unprecedented shortage” of Asian hot sauces, a California-based producer said.

An extract from this morning's NYT:

A fixture at Vietnamese restaurants, sriracha sauce can lace aromatic pho with a jolt of heat. It’s the star ingredient in spicy mayonnaise zigzagging countless sushi rolls, and it has even inspired a legion of fans to dress up for Halloween each year like a red plastic squeeze bottle with green cap.

But this year, a shortage of red jalapeño chiles has threatened it all for sriracha, a beloved condiment made from sun-ripened peppers from Mexico and seasoned with vinegar, salt, sugar and garlic.

Huy Fong Foods, a company based in Irwindale, Calif., that produces one of the most popular sriracha sauces in the world, confirmed that it was experiencing an “unprecedented shortage” affecting all of its chile-based products, which also include chile garlic sauce and sambal oelek.

In a statement by email, a company representative said that the issue stemmed from “several spiraling events, including unexpected crop failure from the spring chile harvest.” Huy Fong Foods generally goes through 100 million pounds of chiles each year, the representative added.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Sriracha Shortage Is Taking Some Spice Out of Life

An abysmal spring harvest of Mexican chiles caused an “unprecedented shortage” of Asian hot sauces, a California-based producer said.

An extract from this morning's NYT:

That would explain the sudden planting of 1000s of acres of peppers in the Brentwood area of the Delta where I have never seen them planted before
    Last edited by TriGuy; 06-23-2022 at 10:27 PM.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Sriracha Shortage...
    Man, love that stuff. And, I'm not one of those "heat junkies" that goes for the highest Scoville rating. It has to be favorable too.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead