Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Company's comin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I live in a hamlet with four permanent residents, my wife and I being two. Never seen a drug deal here or much of anything, really, except trees down after a storm or the odd porcupine. I take that back - about 15 years ago, I saw two bear cubs scoot up a tree when I drove by. I discouraged my wife from stopping to get out and take a picture. That's about the most situational awareness we need here.
    You weren't a cop in the 3rd largest county which contains the 4th largest city in the United States. A whole lot more goes on there than in the backwoods of NY. Kinda like where I moved to in East Texas where I grew up. I miss the metropolitan area of Houston mostly because of the retail stores but I love the laid back solitude of rural East Texas. I now live behind a locked gate with a 900 foot driveway in a house you can't see from the road unless you are really looking closely. The fence between me and my neighbor who is a great friend has a gate that remains open all of the time and cattle roam freely between our places. Life is good when I leave the television off except for Texas Aggie Football!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

My state has open carry laws. Yet, other than an occasional armed cop, I do not see people carrying firearms.

Back in the 70's and 80's, the firearm fanny packs were commonplace, but not now. To me, that means one of two things is happening - either I'm oblivious to those carrying firearms, or they've camouflaged them well enough to escape notice.

I'm impressed the Senate actually came together on the current bill. I was wrong on this one, my friends. For, I did not believe a consensus would occur.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I live in a state where concealed carry does not require a permit. I work in a profession where many people that work at night think they are safer with a pistol. I go into some of the roughest parts of my city, in the middle of the night unarmed. In 30 years, I have never had a problem. I do not understand why some people think they need to be armed every minute of the day. However, I do own multiple firearms, and am not anti gun.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I do not understand why some people think they need to be armed every minute of the day. However, I do own multiple firearms, and am not anti gun.
    Agree..

Have one friend who wears his gun on his belt around the house, all day. Another who has to be told by his sister in law, on every visit, to leave his gun in the car.

In all of the crime in the DC area, and we do have a lot.. only one car jacking was stopped by an armed citizen (and he destroyed the interior of his car).. only one.

Just don’t understand the need..

I live in a state where concealed carry does not require a permit. I work in a profession where many people that work at night think they are safer with a pistol. I go into some of the roughest parts of my city, in the middle of the night unarmed. In 30 years, I have never had a problem. I do not understand why some people think they need to be armed every minute of the day. However, I do own multiple firearms, and am not anti gun.
    That pretty much mirrors my feelings and experience. Of all the time that I spent in the Bronx I never felt uneasy. The same holds true for every Brough of NYC.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I carry because I can. That and because I spent 40 years of my life also carrying a badge and still do. During that time I put some very nasty people in prison, some of which made threats for when they got out. I sometimes get notices from the prison system that one of them is being released. I know the value of a threat so I'm not particularly concerned but you never know.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Yeah, I can understand wanting to be prepared if our vocation included specific risks. Wifey and I don't think any of the people we incarcerated will seek us out - but who knows? We'd rather be over-prepared than vulnerable.

Early in my career, I worked with an inmate in a CCC who would pursue and kill people he liked. Why? He believed people around him would suffer horribly in a great apocalypse. In his mind, he thought that he would spare them from suffering. As part of a coping mechanism, my staff mates and I would tease each other by pointing out how friendly he was to them.

The point of the above bit of history is that we may never know what's going through the minds of people around us. And, some of us feel we need to be ready for when the train we're on goes off the rails.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I would have to agree with you, after driving a semi into some of the "nicest" parts of a city in the US and Canada I was not afraid but I wasn't stupid. I was doing a pickup in downtown Oakland at PepsiCo in the middle of the night and having arrived too early I couldn't stay there. There is a little gas station truck stop down by the coliseum and need to find a ATM. I "hired" a body guard, he help me back in to a spot, didn't need the help but you don't want to piss off the locals, cost me $5.00. Then he offered to walk with me to the ATM, sure again don't mess with the locals. Did I need a body guard, No but it can't hurt to have a friend along and he knew I did have any money, he had already gotten my cash.

Kevin again an interesting post. I was back in KC, KS last week and my younger sister was also staying with our older sister. My little sister was being her usual self and made the comment that she had a gun, which I she know carries everywhere she goes. I was between her and the bedroom where it would be in her luggage. I asked if she thought she could get it going past me? Nope. That's one of the many reasons she know the town I live in in Nebraska but not the address and I've never invited her to visit, she has gone way off the right edge of the page.

When I lived in Colorado or visited Utah deserts and now when I visit the southwest I used to like to go out and go plinking but with the atmosphere about guns I'm not comfortable doing it anymore.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson