Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I live in a hamlet with four permanent residents, my wife and I being two. Never seen a drug deal here or much of anything, really, except trees down after a storm or the odd porcupine. I take that back - about 15 years ago, I saw two bear cubs scoot up a tree when I drove by. I discouraged my wife from stopping to get out and take a picture. That's about the most situational awareness we need here.
You weren't a cop in the 3rd largest county which contains the 4th largest city in the United States. A whole lot more goes on there than in the backwoods of NY. Kinda like where I moved to in East Texas where I grew up. I miss the metropolitan area of Houston mostly because of the retail stores but I love the laid back solitude of rural East Texas. I now live behind a locked gate with a 900 foot driveway in a house you can't see from the road unless you are really looking closely. The fence between me and my neighbor who is a great friend has a gate that remains open all of the time and cattle roam freely between our places. Life is good when I leave the television off except for Texas Aggie Football!