Thread: Dune - The Movie

Dune - The Movie

So, any of the crew into Dune? Spoiler alert - some plot elements are exposed.

For years I've seen the original 1984 movie version. I found it interesting and read the Dune series of books while on a cruise. Since that time, they've added several more books - which now total 24.

The original movie seemed to try and tell some of the background regarding how things got to the state they did. The protagonist was heroic and strong. Yeah, the special effects sucked, but the actors were known and did a good job.

One of the things I like about the new '21 version is the depth they went to with the futuristic, yet archaic, airships that look and work somewhat like dragonflies. And, the evil fat Duke is more realistic (reminded me of M Brando). And, the Sandworms are greatly improved - yet I still wonder what it is they eat out in the desert.

I felt the original did a better job of fleshing out the Sisterhood and laying out their motives. It also showed the structure of social units to be what could be described as Muslim. And, Paul's little sister (Alicia Witt) in the original was excellent.

Personally, I think a person who saw only the '21 movie without seeing the old one or reading the books, may not understand how or why things are happening to the main players. I'd like to hear how my friends see that issue.

The new movie is relatively ethereal and mystic, with brooding music and somber tones. The original allowed us to hear participants' thoughts whereas the new one lets the viewer discover that on their own. I do like the way the Fremen are more stoic and serious now.

In the original, I loved seeing Sean Young and Sting. In the new one, it's Jason Mamoa who stands out for me.

In both, Paul's mother, the royal Consort, seems almost schizophrenic in the way that she's either being domineering or having a nervous breakdown. It's all to show how stressed she is by her divided roles (e.g., religious order vs familial ties).

I'm looking forward to seeing Dune 2. Since the original came out, others have tried (but failed) to make new versions too.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    The new Dune was well done.. great effects.. enjoyed it..

I remember most movies in short term memory.. couldn’t describe the story line in much detail.. but I do remember that it had good effects and was an enjoyable watch..

I do remember some movies that I saw hundreds of times while working in theatres.. I used to be able to recite the dialogue of the Producers (1967) along with the movie.. and the Odd Couple, and Patton and 2001 and WGTW.. saw all of them many, many times..

CGA has done wonders for effects..

I enjoy “binging a series “ if I wait between seasons I forget some details from earlier seasons.. I don’t remember everything but I still enjoy watching..

I tried reading the first book many years ago. Just couldn't get into it and put Dune into the trash pile.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I enjoy “binging a series “ if I wait between seasons I forget some details from earlier seasons.
    Wifey and I find ourselves binging too. It helps us move through a series without losing much enthusiasm. One of our favorites has been Stranger Things. Part of what we like is we really don't understand what's going on until each season finale hits - answering our questions.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I loved stranger things it was a good mix of light comedy, coming of age and Si fy
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I loved stranger things it was a good mix of light comedy, coming of age and Si fy
    Stranger things is great.. Season 4, volume 2 should be out in a few daze..

If you liked 11.. watch Enola Holmes.. (Sherlock’s little sister) on Netflix..

I've watched everything that's available on Netflix is there more to come? I've also seen the movie you referenced where Millie Bobby Brown is cast. I'm going to get to watching that one too I happen to like that young lady.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

She looks totally different all made up.

Wifey and I are now downloading and digesting Season 4 of Stranger Things. So far so good.

Hunter

Stranger Things season four was broken into two parts.. the second part.. final two episodes are starting 1July, I think.. in season four they have come close to “jumping the shark” a few times.. two final episodes and it’s all wrapped up..

Ozark and Better Call Saul also broke the last season into two parts..

A byproduct of Covid is the number of TV series that I have watched..