Thread: States Where The Most People Are Killed By Guns

States Where The Most People Are Killed By Guns

This is an interesting article. I don't think it means much other than being of interest. I find it interesting that the 10 states with the highest death rates are almost equally divided between the North and the South, with the South holding a one state lead. I was also surprised at several of the states rankings.

When you click on the link and go to the article, use the page buttons on the bottom of the page to move forward.

To determine the states where the most people are killed by guns, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed 2020 firearm mortality data from the CDC. States are ranked by the firearm death rate — the number of firearm deaths per 100,000 residents. Population data came from the U.S. Census Bureau 2020 American Community Survey and are five year estimates.

Out of the 10 states with the highest rates of firearm mortality per capita, six are located in the South and none are among the 10 most populous states.
    AIM HERE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Montana surprised me.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Dayam , we only made it to # 2 . I figured with New Orleans we should be the top of the heap .

But , I promise, we will try harder before the next ratings .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

I was surprised that Alaska ranked high on death rates. It may be due to my naivete, but I'd always assumed Alaskans were the outdoorsy types who'd be more mindful of potentially harmful things.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I've seen that list previously and it renders many popular "targets" as pure misconceptions---some of which we hear right here, bogus.

If you do the same comparison of crime in US cities you will find similar and likely surprising surprises.

Forbes rates most unsafe and safest. The criteria changes in these studies and you need to understand that to understand better the results.

Highest murder rates.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 06-23-2022 at 02:38 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I was surprised that Alaska ranked high on death rates. It may be due to my naivete, but I'd always assumed Alaskans were the outdoorsy types who'd be more mindful of potentially harmful things.

Hunter
    Just a guess, but Alaska "enjoys" very high alcohol and drug abuse rates, both of which play heavy in this number.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yes, Dave.

I've also experienced some dry cities, like Barrow - for example. However, that city returned to wet status in 1997.

Yeah, they also renamed the city Utqiagvik, which I am pretty sure is a name I cannot pronounce. Wifey and I were going to visit a cop friend there during the dry spell. I said, "No way am I going to freeze up there with nothing to drink." We didn't go.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Just a guess, but Alaska "enjoys" very high alcohol and drug abuse rates, both of which play heavy in this number.
    To say nothing of the people that "escaped" into the wild to hide from their past.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson