Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is serious stuff

This is serious stuff

I am in full agreement with Judge Luttig and with far less "weight" have been saying the same thing. The rino party could herald the end of our democracy.

Of all we have heard at the hearings of the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol, Judge J. Michael Luttig’s testimony on Thursday stands out. Luttig is a leading conservative thinker, a giant in Republican legal circles, who worked in the Reagan administration, was appointed by President George H. W. Bush to a federal judgeship, and was on the short-list for a Supreme Court seat during President George W. Bush’s term. In January 2021, then–vice president Mike Pence’s staff turned to him for support to make sure Pence didn’t agree to count out electors; Luttig opposed the scheme absolutely.

Luttig’s words carry weight among Republican lawmakers.

On Thursday, Judge Luttig examined the ongoing danger to democracy and located it not just on former president Donald Trump and his enablers, but on the entire Republican Party of today, the party that embraces the Big Lie that Trump won the 2020 election, the party that continues to plan to overturn any election in which voters choose a Democrat.

“[T]he former president and his party are today a clear and present danger for American democracy,” Luttig reiterated to NPR’s All Things Considered.

And, as if in confirmation, delegates to a convention of the Texas Republican Party today approved platform planks rejecting “the certified results of the 2020 Presidential election, and [holding] that acting President Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was not legitimately elected by the people of the United States”; requiring students “to learn about the dignity of the preborn human,” including that life begins at fertilization; treating homosexuality as “an abnormal lifestyle choice”; locking the number of Supreme Court justices at 9; getting rid of the constitutional power to levy income taxes; abolishing the Federal Reserve; rejecting the Equal Rights Amendment; returning Christianity to schools and government; ending all gun safety measures; abolishing the Department of Education; arming teachers; requiring colleges to teach “free-market liberty principles”; defending capital punishment; dictating the ways in which the events at the Alamo are remembered; protecting Confederate monuments; ending gay marriage; withdrawing from the United Nations and the World Health Organization; and calling for a vote “for the people of Texas to determine whether or not the State of Texas should reassert its status as an independent nation.”

Luttig said that Republicans must start speaking to Democrats as ”fellow Americans that have a shared destiny and shared hopes and dreams for America.” “We cannot have in America either political party behaving itself like the Republican Party has since the 2020 election.”
    trump is a pox on this nation, he needs to be "exiled" along with his incessant and never ending lies.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Reading more:

"To my knowledge, I’ve never spoken publicly a single word of politics,” Luttig told NPR about his extraordinary statements. In a later note he added: “I wanted to do this for America and I understood I had an obligation to do it for America. It was my ‘moment’ in my life to stand up, step forward, and bear witness to what I believe and what I do not believe.”
    I honor you sir You are what this nation was, is and should forever be. I praise you for your courage and unwavering principles
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Regarding the GOP Platform. It makes me want to puke. What drugs are these folks on?
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Regarding the GOP Platform. It makes me want to puke. What drugs are these folks on?
    As a personal opinion , I think the GOP Platform is , America First . The current admin is Print money and give it to people who wish us dead. Rack up enough debt that your great grandkids will have to pay it off [ if they still have a nation ]

Please post one thing that biden has done which benefits the U.S.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    As a personal opinion , I think the GOP Platform is , America First . The current admin is Print money and give it to people who wish us dead. Rack up enough debt that your great grandkids will have to pay it off [ if they still have a nation ]

Please post one thing that biden has done which benefits the U.S.
    I'm beginning to think we don't talk about the Biden administration or the direction the left wing of the Democratic party because everyone knows it's a lost cause.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I guess the best (and possibly only) option a trump supporter has in this discussion is to try diversion and hope it works

You sure as hell don't want to spend time discussing Judge Luttig's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I guess the best (and possibly only) option a trump supporter has in this discussion is to try diversion and hope it works

You sure as hell don't want to spend time discussing Judge Luttig's comments.
    Once I saw it was on PBS I was done.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Good idea, they tend to use big words.

Judge Luttig is a highly respected conservative. Even if the article was posted on PBS, CNN, the Huff Post or any other liberal bastion his message is not lessened. The author of the article, however, is of concern.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Good idea, they tend to use big words.
    Happy Father's Day Dave!

Happy Father's Day Dave!
    Same to you.

Most Americans Don't Want Biden or Trump to Run Again: Poll

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=uxbndlbing

"On the question regarding should former President Donald Trump run for President in 2024, 55 percent of people said no while 31 percent said yes.
    When asked whether Biden should run again for President in 2024, 64 percent of people said no while 21 percent said yes."
    - Newsweek

We are running out of time for a strong and credible Independent to arise. Personally, I think the two major parties are backing the wrong presidential candidates. At this point, neither party has officially backed a candidate. When they do, it'll be made obvious by the number of spam phone calls/emails we see.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    So.. we shouldn’t watch a ball game if it’s on Fox?

You don't watch Fox right?

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    You don't watch Fox right?
    Not much.. Tucker & Sean & Laura sure can spin a good yarn but just too much spin and not enough fact checking.

I think CNN may be cleaning up their act a little under the new bosses.

Their all (all news outlets) spin doctors..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2100352.html