Thread: Galettes

Galettes

Anyone familiar with buckwheat galettes? They are a variety of crepes found only in Britany. The origin, like many of the staple dishes in Europe, is that they are a easily prepared dish with inexpensive, readily available foods.

We have had them several times on our trips to Dinan, a small village in Britany, purported to be one of the best preserved medieval village in Europe.

There are many recipes online with various methods of preparation. Because buckwheat flour is gluten free it is recommended to mix some regular flour so that the galettes behave properly while cooking.

I won’t go into all the various recipes but a quick Google search of “galettes complete” will give an idea.
    The main ingredients are buckwheat and regular flour, eggs, deli ham, Gruyère cheese

I’ve found about a 3 to 2 ratio of buckwheat to regular flour gives good results and I refrigerate the batter anywhere from several hours to several days, you can freeze it as well, just thaw and it’s good to go.

www.bing.com/search?q=galettes+recipe+complete&filters=sid%3A%2 2null%22+segment%3A%22generic.carousel%22+secq%3A% 22galettes+recipe+complete%22+supwlcar%3A%221%22+t source%3A%22EntitySegments%22+catesegtype%3A%22rec ipe%22+segtype%3A%22UmVjaXBlLFJlY2lwZQ%3D%3D%22+ml type%3A%220%22+ctype%3A%220%22+eltypedim1%3A%22Rec ipe%22&shtp=GetUrl&shid=2b48a5b8-0f84-4bc9-938c-41628e803618&shtk=QnVja3doZWF0IENyZXBlcyB3aXRoIEhh bSwgRWdnLCBhbmQgQ2hlZXNlIChHYWxldHRlcyBDb21wbMOodG VzKQ%3D%3D&shdk=QnVja3doZWF0IENyZXBlcyB3aXRoIEhhbS wgRWdnLCBhbmQgQ2hlZXNlIChHYWxldHRlcyBDb21wbMOodGVz KQ%3D%3D&shhk=GD1%2FnCRYYneOXXmQMNOmJBifTf%2BwzMFk Admqj8a9gUQ%3D&form=EX0023&shth=AMMS_f7cf72101260c 95a925ae561ce9cbcae
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

I had to google Dinan - it looks like a neat place to visit. I'm jealous!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

This is the B&B we’ve stayed at twice, it was built in the 15th century. Dinan is probably the most charming place we have visited in our travels, thats why we’ve gone back. I’d go again if I could still travel but, alas, that time has gone.

https://www.lamaisonpavie.com/fr/maison-hotes-dinan/
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

Charming

I have never been in that area. With few exceptions my travels were mostly business and any connection to "tourists" spots was purely coincidental. As an example, my time in the UK was primarily Manchester, Liverpool and London. I "visited" St Peter's probably half a dozen times but never before about 11 PM! It wasn't until I took my extended family that I actually went inside---the same applied to the coliseum.

One spot in Italy dating to about the same time as Dinan is Spoleto. The place is spell binding. The guest house that I always stayed at was at the "peak" of the town and offered a breath taking unobstructed view of the valley below. When I took my family there I thought I might not get them to leave. Simply walking those narrow streets is a wonderful experience.

Back to galettes, I know about them only because of Andrew Zimmern!
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 06-19-2022 at 06:04 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

We visited one city in Italy that you actually parked in an underground parking garage and took an elevator up to the old center of town. Can’t remember the name but I recall it was near Perguia.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

Random food thoughts

Speaking of food in Europe, we were in San Sebastián and heard somehow about a restaurant that was supposed to be good. We walked to it and saw it was a small place on the second floor, very unassuming. We thought, let’s try it anyway. Had sole meunière, it was the best I have ever had, it was so good we went back the next night and had the same thing again.

I’ve tried to duplicate it at home many times but can’t come close. Tried it in several restaurants here but its not the same, not even close.

Then there’s French onion soup, forget it in France, they just smile and tell you that it’s an American thing. Never had a good French onion soup in France.

In Germany just about any dish with the word “Jeager” in it is going to be wonderful.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

I think I might have an explanation of the inability to duplicate a dish here to equal what you had there----it is in the components as well as the process.

I used a coating in Italy that I bought from an Italian coatings (think paint) company. I wanted to run the same thing here but importing that material was going to be a nightmare. I arranged for them to work with my supplier here to create the same formulation---it was not even close. Then I had them send all the components less the primary solvent (that was the culprit with importation). We sourced the "equivalent" solvent here----that failed as well.

Very long story short, I could never get it to work. As it relates to your experience---close but not exact spices and ingredients. Something as simple as butter becomes miles apart when an ocean lies between.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ferraridriver View Post
    We visited one city in Italy that you actually parked in an underground parking garage and took an elevator up to the old center of town. Can’t remember the name but I recall it was near Perguia.
    Are you sure it was not Perugia?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Are you sure it was not Perugia?
    My mistake, although it might have Bergamo, we spent several days there and it might have been on a side trip. Bergamo is in hilly country and that would make more sense.

Anyway, how often do you park in an underground garage and take an elevator up maybe one story to a cobble stone street open air shopping area?
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

Even in Italy that is not an everyday event.

I was surprised to see how many live in Rennes' metro area - 739,974 inhabitants. And, the local history is fascinating.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Speaking of Perugia and things underground----this is amazing and amazingly little known to tourists! This is one of those things that when I first saw it I walked around mouth open! This is, in every way (except for no sky), is a small town where people lived and worked. It is complete with street signs carved into stone on the corners.

I remain amazed at how few Italian visitors have seen it and never heard of it.

I like it, Dave.

On our first trip to Paris, Wifey and I explored the catacombs. That's what Perugia reminded me of. If we're ever back in that area, we'll look for it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead