Thread: Just saying

Just saying

...we are mostly isolated from inflation and at least in the case of interest we gain a wee bit. However, we are subject to the same inflation pressure as everyone else when I go to the grocery store.

I use an app called "Out of Milk". I make my weekly list as I use things and based on the weekly sales flyer. The app makes me aware of the changes in cost since it holds in memory all past purchases---so when broccoli goes from $1.49 to $1.69 a pound, I see the old price as soon as I add broccoli to the list.

Beef has gone up considerably but I buy most meat and fish on sale which helps in some cases. Multiple items, like 3 for $10 are now 3 for $12. Ten for $10 are now 4 for $5.

At the end of the day it is not a painful impact on me---but I feel sorry for those who are trying to stay to a budget or just to find the money to pay for groceries.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

WIfey and I also keep track of individual prices as well as overall expenditures. But, our largest savings come from always paying in cash and paying bills as soon as they arrive. We have not paid interest for 25 years. Yeah, it takes considerable planning and discipline to reach that point, but it's simple - we only buy what we can afford and pay for it upfront.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    WIfey and I also keep track of individual prices as well as overall expenditures. But, our largest savings come from always paying in cash and paying bills as soon as they arrive. We have not paid interest for 25 years. Yeah, it takes considerable planning and discipline to reach that point, but it's simple - we only buy what we can afford and pay for it upfront.

Hunter
    I've tried and have gotten out of debt several times but I only have one credit card now and my goal is to pay it off again before I die, hopefully.

I've been cutting my fuel costs, I only drive to town every two weeks and I lump things together. I just might need to hook the charger to the truck to keep the batteries up and for the last two years I use my EV to go get mail or go looking for the dog when he decides to do a walk about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My EV.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	38951  

Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

That should save the knees
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    ...I use my EV to go get mail or go looking for the dog...
    Nice shot, it's a beauty. That's a smart choice.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead