Thread: Am I missing things

Am I missing things

I just finished a 60 mile trip on I-20 . Something seamed strange until I finally figured it out . I think that there were 30 % fewer Semis on the road than I normally see .

Has anyone else noticed a decrease in the number of Big Rigs , or is it just my imagination ? .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Probably a supply chain issues. nothing to haul....

Applying single point observances to a broader conclusion is always suspect. Yesterday, I drove past a backup of at very least 7 miles on I-78 and I would estimate that backup as 70% trucks!

The good news---I was going the other way
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Applying single point observances to a broader conclusion is always suspect.
    I agree - yet also think our economy is sliding into a recession. And, it's not just us, our trading partners are economically weakened too. Yeah, trucking is, and will be, impacted as well.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Here's one clue...
    When spot rates were paying $4 a mile and more, no price was too high for a fleet to add capacity. The idea was to take advantage of record-high rates and not worry about the equipment price premium. Now owner-operators who overpaid for equipment stand to get burned.
    Combine that with fuel prices......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The fuel prices are going to hit the smaller one or two truck operations the most. The super sized trucking companies have the pockets to buy the fuel and many if not most are going to charge a "fuel surcharge" for the increase. And as the economy tightens they will either park them or sell them.

"Truck orders slide, but seasonally a 'surprise'
    North American Class 8 net orders dipped in May to 13,300 units, according to preliminary data released by FTR, the lowest total since November 2021. May order activity was down 13% month-over-month and down 43% year-over-year. Jun 7, 2022."
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

As I was thinking about the economic impact to transportation in our nation, I remembered the change I've seen in flights over my house. For the last three years, only two-engined large jets fly in or out of our airport. The 747's et al., are being moth-balled or stored.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

That observation reflects a marked change in aircraft design thinking. My SIL, who spent his entire career in the AF flying B-52s with 8 engines now flies the similar size Boeing 787 with two engines.
    Beginning in 1985 the FAA began relaxing their rules regarding 2 engine planes. I don't remember the exact numbers, but until 1985 a two engine plane had to fly routes were they would never be more than 60 minutes from a usable airport. That ruling has now migrated to the point which there no longer is a restriction on two engine planes which are more fuel efficient than the older planes like the 747 which was introduced in 1969. I was a fan of the 747s, but time marches on

Just as a point of reference, I began my "flying experience" on large commercial planes on Constellations and Convair 440, both prop planes. My first jet was a Convair 880 (1963). My last flight on a Constellation was 1965 and the Convair 440 in the late 80s (Lake Central/Republic). The Constellations were a beautiful plane with 4 across seating and some seats were face to face with a table between
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	38954
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Contrary to common belief, my first commercial flight was not booked with the Wright brothers...In the early days of 1966 I boarded a converted military C-47 operated by Trans Texas Airways (AKA Tree Top Airlines for very real reasons) in Pounds Field, Tyler Texas bound for Love Field in Dallas for my induction into the USAF...I believe the silent prayers of everyone aboard that flight aided in keeping it aloft......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

As we talk about this I begin to think not just of the planes of yore but of the airlines that once flew them. Two of the largest that I flew often that are no longer with us include TWA and PanAM. Many more have merged and/or devoured by competitors, like Northwest Orient/Delta. But beyond the majors---there has been countless smaller startups that have had any number of endings.

One that I recall (and the name is now history) was a new carrier flying out of Atlanta's Hart Field. I took them from Atlanta to Florence SC to visit a steel fabricator there. I was nursing a broken shoulder and broken ribs at the time. I got to the counter where they were supposed to be located---and no sign of them. I asked around at adjacent counters and was met with blank stares. Eventually someone showed up and put a hand printed sign on the counter! This was their first day and they were using a "multi-use" gate. They did have an airplane---always a good thing---and it was so new that the plastic was still covering the carpet

Anyway---we did get to Florence and the icing on the cake was that the co-pilot saw my condition and carried my bag into the terminal!

About 3 weeks latter I had to make another visit to my wayward steel fabricator and found "the boys" were out of business---a few days after my return they ran out of fuel (who does that?) and crashed the damn thing in a pasture, no serious injuries other than trashing the rented plane

Yeah, my brother has his Pilot's License and has some good stories to tell. Some of them revolve around pilots who run out of fuel - which terminates their license. My brother ran out of fuel on his maiden flight, but no one knew it because he was landing at the time. Fortunately, no other people other than his instructor were involved.

Hunter

Some of them revolve around pilots who run out of fuel - which terminates their license.
    Yeah, hard impact with the ground will do that.

Exactamundo, my friend.

When a place runs out of fuel, the aircraft and its passengers can die. Most of us strongly prefer that not happen.

Hunter