Thread: Am I missing things

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Am I missing things

I just finished a 60 mile trip on I-20 . Something seamed strange until I finally figured it out . I think that there were 30 % fewer Semis on the road than I normally see .

Has anyone else noticed a decrease in the number of Big Rigs , or is it just my imagination ? .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Probably a supply chain issues. nothing to haul....

Applying single point observances to a broader conclusion is always suspect. Yesterday, I drove past a backup of at very least 7 miles on I-78 and I would estimate that backup as 70% trucks!

The good news---I was going the other way
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Applying single point observances to a broader conclusion is always suspect.
    I agree - yet also think our economy is sliding into a recession. And, it's not just us, our trading partners are economically weakened too. Yeah, trucking is, and will be, impacted as well.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Here's one clue...
    When spot rates were paying $4 a mile and more, no price was too high for a fleet to add capacity. The idea was to take advantage of record-high rates and not worry about the equipment price premium. Now owner-operators who overpaid for equipment stand to get burned.
    Combine that with fuel prices......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The fuel prices are going to hit the smaller one or two truck operations the most. The super sized trucking companies have the pockets to buy the fuel and many if not most are going to charge a "fuel surcharge" for the increase. And as the economy tightens they will either park them or sell them.

"Truck orders slide, but seasonally a 'surprise'
    North American Class 8 net orders dipped in May to 13,300 units, according to preliminary data released by FTR, the lowest total since November 2021. May order activity was down 13% month-over-month and down 43% year-over-year. Jun 7, 2022."
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson