Thread: I thought she was talking about me!

I thought she was talking about me!

From a new book review in today's NYT:

THE COLONY: Faith and Blood in a Promised Land, by Sally Denton

Women tend to fare poorly in religions created by men. Throughout history, male prophets have claimed divine authority to write laws that perpetuate male power and shunt women aside as intellectual inferiors or evil temptresses who threaten male glory.

Although we reject sexism in other sectors of our society, it is baked into many religious creeds. Nowhere on our continent does a faith based on male supremacy loom larger than in the polygamist sects dotting the American West and northern Mexico, which follow the original teachings of the libidinous founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Joseph Smith. Billing himself as a “prophet, seer and revelator” in 1830, Smith bested the religious start-ups of yore: He claimed that God — viewed as male, always — allowed men to take multiple wives. Smith accumulated up to 40 himself, including a 14-year-old girl — a troubling history that Mormon leaders denied until 2014.

“Central to Smith’s theology was the doctrine that all male devotees were on the road to godhood,” Sally Denton writes in her meticulously researched new book, “The Colony.” She goes on, “In the Mormons’ patriarchal system, a woman could only enter heaven as an appendage to a man, yet a man could take as many women to the eternal kingdom as he pleased.” Unsurprisingly, young men found Smith’s sales pitch very attractive.
    The way that began I thought she was talking about the Catholic Church----and then I realized she could be talking about a long list of religions.

I was foolish enough to believe that within my lifetime I would get to see a dear friend (who is a nun) celebrate her first Mass---sadly there isn't enough time left for that to happen.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I don't recall where I read it, but it was a recent article about Brigham Young, Smith's successor. Supposedly he wed 50+ times. What was interesting, was that 10 of his wives divorced him - which he did not fight.

Yes, some of Brigham's wives were young. Yet, some were middle-aged and had children, who had been abandoned by their husbands. As with most historical figures, when we study them we see multiple foibles and strengths - as we ourselves have.

One of my favorite historical figures is Porter Rockwell. He was a bodyguard and friend of Mr. Smith. After Smith's death, he also was a friend and bodyguard for Mr. Young. Rockwell's reputation as an enforcer was well known - so much so that just a warning of, "Porter Rockwell will be visiting you," caused many of the LDS Church's opponents to leave the land that would become Utah.

As any Utahn will tell you, there was something unique and special about Mr. Rockwell. In a blessing to him, Smith told Rockwell that he would remain safe from bullets as long as he remained faithful to The Church. Considering that Rockwell was involved in more gunfights and deaths than Wyatt Earp, that says something. For the record, no bullet ever penetrated Mr. Rockwell.

In my biker days, I spent many weekends in and around Eureka Utah. That small mountain town has one of Rockwell's last cabins right on the main drag. It's been restored to an operational state, with period matching furniture and accouterments. Interestingly, the most famous Eureka-born person is named Frank Zamboni - inventor of the revolutionary ice machine.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The movie "The Avenging Angel" had James Coburn playing Rockwell. Good flick.