Thread: Let us not miss the primary focus of what trump did

Let us not miss the primary focus of what trump did

Today was the second hearing of the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol. The day began with chair Bennie Thompson (D-MS) laying out clearly and simply that what Trump and his minions did was to try to steal from Americans our right to vote for the leaders we want. That’s the heart of our system of government and central to the rule of law. The investigation of what happened in the last months of the Trump administration isn’t some abstract debate about a short riot, deadly though it was; it is an examination of an attack on the American people and an attempt to destroy our democracy.
    IMHO, the best thing that could happen to what little of the Republican party that remains would be for trump to disappear, preferably into a jail cell but at very least to a desolate political island.

The third hearing is scheduled for 10 AM on Wednesday 6/15.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 06-14-2022 at 07:51 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Up date, they have now delayed the next hearing until Thursday.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

We need our Justice System to be efficient and effective in dealing with efforts people made to beat it. If I recall, there's some kind of rider in U.S. law that keeps an insurrectionist from further participation in our government.

If a court labels someone an insurrectionist, we're halfway there. Our legislatures may shy away from/such a process.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

New update: 1 PM on Thursday.