Thread: January 6 hearings - the grift

January 6 hearings - the grift

Today's hearings, for those who did not watch, had some instructive points.

One of the things that struck me was the evolution from a normal election loss to a grift for money and ego assuaging. People who were around Trump as part of the professional re-election campaign were telling Trump even before the election that the numbers were not there. On election night, they repeated this assessment. Trump couldn't stand losing and eventually, he gave access to the nut burgers like Giuliani and Powell who would tell him what he wanted to hear - the election was stolen, not lost.

Trump also used the issue to separate people from their money. Fundraising ramped up tremendously and donors were asked to contribute to a non-existent "Election Defense Fund". The fund never existed. Money went into a PAC's general coffers. Everyone wet their beaks from this.

A prominent Republican election lawyer, Ben Ginsberg, detailed how election litigation was supposed to work and how Trump's efforts were different. Normally, you litigate when there are a few hundred votes separating the final totals. In places such as Arizona, where Biden's lead was 10,000+ votes, there was never a chance in hell of succeeding and so it was with the other states. Ginsberg and earlier, Attorney General Barr and Deputy Attorney General Donoghue detailed the various conspiracy theories (mysterious suitcases in Atlanta, truckloads of fraudulent ballots in Philadelphia, software corruption, interlocking cabals in China and the Philippines and Germany and Italy, etc.) and how these were all investigated and found to be "bull_shi_t".

Of the 60+ lawsuits filed, about half were dismissed on procedural grounds - people sued who did not have the right to do so, or the claims were so outlandish as to be dismissed outright. But about half went to trial and none of these were upheld. Ginsberg also noted that the courts were not the only method available to contest the totals - recounts also did not uphold the claims.

Some crazy-ass movie - 2000 mules - was mentioned. I looked it up. QAnon meets Hollywood. Dismissed by the Justice Dept for being more "bull-sh_it".

Former US Attorney Pak detailed the Atlanta investigation and gave an insight into the methods used to examine the claims made. It was interesting to get confirmation, at the very least, that for the most part, the claims being bandied about by the conspiracy theorists were based on an ignorance of the actual procedures by which votes were counted. Every misunderstood action became fraud in their minds but it was not the case in actuality.

The elections commissioner in Philadelphia showed the death threats to himself and his family that he received as a result of the lies Trump and his team told.

On the one hand, I was not surprised. I'm from NY and we know Trump. He lies, separates rubes from their money, creates his own reality by repeating it over and over. On the other hand, he only did this with financial dealings in the past. Now, he was in a position where his lies had real world consequences for a large segment of the population that had been primed to believe him because of the information echo chambers they inhabit and January 6 was the result.

It might not have been anything I hadn't heard before but it was good to hear it all at once and told as a cohesive tale instead of headlines.

I guess I should have paid closer attention. I assumed the hearing would be held tonight like the last one. Oh well, I can just skip to the news clips and save a lot of time.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I report, you decide!

LMAO!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

The sheer volume of law suites he has been involved is is staggering and should, I would think, give anyone pause to think about considering him as a viable candidate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_affairs_of_Donald_Trump
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

Quote Originally Posted by Ferraridriver View Post
    The sheer volume of law suites he has been involved is is staggering and should, I would think, give anyone pause to think about considering him as a viable candidate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_affairs_of_Donald_Trump

His famous answer to anyone looking to collect owed money: "I'm not paying you----sue me!"

The man is a certified POS
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I guess I should have paid closer attention. I assumed the hearing would be held tonight like the last one. Oh well, I can just skip to the news clips and save a lot of time.
    I thought it was over last week, apparently it's a series......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Sort of like It by Stephen King, including the creepy clown. "Dead people vo-o-o-te"

"It" scares my wife, who won't watch anything connected with it. Yeah, starting a sentence with it and ending with it is problematic but grammatically correct. Let's move on...

Politically, our country needs to move on. #45 is not going to help us with this, we need to do it ourselves.

According to a new NBC News poll, 44% of Republicans say they support the former president more than they support the Republican Party.
    - U.S. News

Yeah, his support within his party has fallen from 50%, but it still makes him a player the press will pay attention to. He will move on when our citizens move on.

Of note, #45 is 76 and Biden is 79. It may be ageism for me to point it out, but we're really expecting much more out of these two old men.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead