Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The kids did well

The kids did well

This is the spring house on my daughter and SIL's small farm, proudly showing off its new hand split cedar shake roof. They, along with middle son, replaced the roof and rafters-----with a bit of coaching from the old man ---they did well

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	474.8 KB 
ID:	38914
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Looks nice!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks, I think so too. That replaces an old cedar shake roof that had been painted red!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

They do the hand splitting of the shakes. That a real art form.

Great job on the roof.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    They do the hand splitting of the shakes. That a real art form.

Great job on the roof.
    No---we do not have the correct species of cedar here. That is Western Red Cedar. I actually have the tool for hand splitting shakes.

In this area most hand split shakes were white oak.

Man, that building really fits in well there. The stonework is impressive and beautiful.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

beauty of a spring house!
    it looks great i do have 1 question (ugh, there's always 1) not to be nitpicky, but why no cap course?
    it's time to change the air in my head

Because I left before they got to the cap. I thought they understood the directions but apparently I failed. My son had done a barn roof with me years ago but he forgot. We will take care of that.

Yeah, this was the thread I didn't get - until I looked up what a "cap course" was. I guessed "cap" was at the top, so went with a roofing search. And, there it was.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

ah, i was just curious. i've done many cedar roofs so it caught my eye it does look good though

yup the caps or cap course seals up the top of the roof

There was a lot of barns that did not fuss with a cap. They cut one side off at the peak and the other side ran past that a couple of inches. I was always impressed by how many "daylights" those roofs had---and nary a leak

My SIL was going to put felt on this but I did manage to talk him out of that. It is on lath. We actually made trusses for the rafters.

I'm sure you encountered this in old barns. The lath was oak and often the rafter spacing was wider than we do now-----trying to drive nails into that lath was like driving nails into a rubber band.

What is a "spring house"? Never heard of that .

That's because you don't have any springs

Springs are sources of water with minimal digging. They are free flowing and most flow independent of short term rainfall. We had a spring on the farm where I was born that we walled up with concrete about 6' square----with a top but no bottom. The bottom of the walls were about 3' below grade and the top about 1' above grade. We put a pump in that enclosure and pumped to the barn for 100 + cows and horses. It never failed to produce more than needed.

We also had an old spring house there which captured another spring. That was a two story building and our seasonal help lived on the second floor. The spring came in at one corner and flowed out at the opposite corner. The conveyance from one side to the other was via a trough about 18" deep and 24" wide. In previous times it had provided "refrigeration" for milk, cheese and butter. It was not used for that by us since that would never have passed muster for a commercial dairy. The primary use was for cooling watermelon

Ground water here is about 54 F year round.

Ahh.. I thought it had to do with the seasons.....