Thread: Machines: The ability to Think and Feel

Machines: The ability to Think and Feel

Google engineer warns the firm's AI is sentient: Suspended employee claims computer programme acts 'like a 7 or 8-year-old' and reveals it told him shutting it off 'would be exactly like death for me. It would scare me a lot'"
    - Daily Mail

At this point in a Science Fiction movie, humans realize their lives are in danger. However, being it's reported in the Daily Mail, where truth is not necessarily a valid concept, one can question the stance.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-sentient.html

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Is it a HAL 9000?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

There is no question (IMHO) that AI will present an entirely new realm of ethics and I find it difficult to believe that AI will be different than its human creators and share the same human failings.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I don’t think we have any idea just how much AI affects our every day life. I just finished a book about it, I won’t go into it here but believe me, AI is very pervasive and it’s heavily funded by big money.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

I'd love to learn more about AI. FD, can you recommend that book?

This is How They Tell Me the World Ends, Nicole Perlroth
    I have another on hold AI 2041 by Kai-Fu, Chen Qiufan

The first is not great but it is interesting, its a subject I know virtually nothing about except that I am affected greatly by it.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

Man, This is How They Tell Me the World Ends, sounds apocalyptical. Which is appropriate as we make our way through this point in history.

In a timely manner, China launched the world's first AI-operated 'mother ship,' an unmanned carrier capable of launching dozens of drones.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...cid=uxbndlbing

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Some may argue that we are already exposed to AI applications--but not in my mind. I use Microsoft Outlook as an email interface, calendar, and "notes" platform. One aspect, which I consider AI, is a reminder service (Microsoft Viva) that monitors my emails and reminds me of possible needs for follow-ups. At my age, I find that particularly useful.

Both "Alexa" and "Siri" are examples of AI. Some might argue that these are not AI but machine learning, I think that line is blurred.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Some may argue that we are already exposed to AI applications--but not in my mind. I use Microsoft Outlook as an email interface, calendar, and "notes" platform. One aspect, which I consider AI, is a reminder service (Microsoft Viva) that monitors my emails and reminds me of possible needs for follow-ups. At my age, I find that particularly useful.

Both "Alexa" and "Siri" are examples of AI. Some might argue that these are not AI but machine learning, I think that line is blurred.
    I spend entirely too much time on devises but I refuse to use Alexa or Siri. I don't talk to my truck I can still push buttons.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    I don't talk to my truck I can still push buttons.
    Cars that talk to me are low on my list. I particularly hate it when a vehicle says (or beeps) that I'm doing something wrong.

For me, AI will peak when we reach the point wherein my laptop responds to emails and messages for me. Further, I think it is extraordinarily dangerous to have any military strike under the control of AI. For, at some point, innocent people will die because of it.

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I particularly hate it when a vehicle says (or beeps) that I'm doing something wrong.
    The first one I encountered was a Datsun Z-car (80's I think)...A customer complained of a noise while moving so I road tested it behind a supermarket at slow speed...When I opened the door to listen, a woman's voice said "Driver's door is open"...I damned near fell out of the car...
    Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    AI will peak when we reach the point wherein my laptop responds to emails and messages for me.
    Mine already decides what is spam, and what is isn't...There is a setting that will let it answer for me on vacation which I've never used......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Your "Z" story reminds me of a similar "Japanese encounter".

It was while I was living in Montreal and still using a rental car. I got to my apartment late on Sunday night after having been home for the weekend. It was COLD and snowing and every spot was taken in the parking garage under the building. I was forced to park on the street---I was annoyed and tired with little remaining tolerance for anything.

I could not get the key out of the ignition! I had enough of the damn thing just trying to find the ignition in the first place, which was hidden under the steering column---now it wouldn't let me remove it

Every time I would unlatch the door it would talk to me----in French with a decided Asian accent----but all the b**** would say was to tell me the key was still in the ignition. I began carrying on an uncivil dialog with the b****, telling her to tell me how to take the damn thing out----but---no---she wasn't listening.

Finally, after having no success with her I was so pissed, I got out and left the car---unlocked with the key in the ignition----and the hope that someone would come along and steal the useless POS.

I'd classify that event as Artificial Abuse, surely not Artificial Intelligence: o:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Artificial Abuse, surely not Artificial Intelligence...
    I like that. Those two words are definitely regarding something in our future.

My '20 Jeep has an auto-emergency system that'll slam on the brakes if you're getting into a sudden stop situation. The first few times it happened I thought something was wrong with the Jeep. Since then, I've learned to proactively prevent getting into driving events that trigger the system. So, I now drive slower in situations the auto-stop will occur. Chalk up a win for the machine.

Hunter