Thread: Machines: The ability to Think and Feel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Machines: The ability to Think and Feel

Google engineer warns the firm's AI is sentient: Suspended employee claims computer programme acts 'like a 7 or 8-year-old' and reveals it told him shutting it off 'would be exactly like death for me. It would scare me a lot'"
    - Daily Mail

At this point in a Science Fiction movie, humans realize their lives are in danger. However, being it's reported in the Daily Mail, where truth is not necessarily a valid concept, one can question the stance.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-sentient.html

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Is it a HAL 9000?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

There is no question (IMHO) that AI will present an entirely new realm of ethics and I find it difficult to believe that AI will be different than its human creators and share the same human failings.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I don’t think we have any idea just how much AI affects our every day life. I just finished a book about it, I won’t go into it here but believe me, AI is very pervasive and it’s heavily funded by big money.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

I'd love to learn more about AI. FD, can you recommend that book?

This is How They Tell Me the World Ends, Nicole Perlroth
    I have another on hold AI 2041 by Kai-Fu, Chen Qiufan

The first is not great but it is interesting, its a subject I know virtually nothing about except that I am affected greatly by it.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !