Thread: Speaking of hard tops

Speaking of hard tops

.........Here is a classic

If you are inclined to buy this beauty, you might want to maintain this car in Phoenix and just go visit it on occasion if you live in a more "temperate" climate. It's intolerance of rain is legend
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

At $89,800 it's a bit out of my dollar reach, Dave, which might also explain why I drive a 13 year old Dodge/Cummins instead of a new one...They are priced similarly......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    At $89,800 it's a bit out of my dollar reach, Dave, which might also explain why I drive a 13 year old Dodge/Cummins instead of a new one...They are priced similarly......Ben
    Yup---but you don't have Lucas Electrics, the Prince of Darkness working for you

If Lucas made guns there would be no wars -----or school shootings
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm still surprised that England doesn't shut down when the sun goes away everyday......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The best practice when driving one of the Queens automobiles to to be home before dark

Yeah, they are problematic yet remarkable machines.

When younger I was into Triumphs. My brother was into Jaguars - and pretty much spent all his money keeping his '64 running. It too had the wire knock-off rims.

I took my Spitfire to CA and back on my honeymoon. That was the first of many auto mistakes. Pretty much anything that could go wrong with the engine and electrical system did go wrong. Yet, I still miss it.

The only thing I don't care for on the '57 Jag is the auto trans.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post

The only thing I don't care for on the '57 Jag is the auto trans.

Hunter
    Looking closely at the pictures of that car show it to have a multitude of sins. Just a few, the hood at "best" needs adjustment, the right rear shows a clear problem. Another "sin" is the drivers door and close examination of that indicates to me there is more of an issue there than adjustment. The wood veneer on the dash board is trash (as many of them are)---I have made replacement dashes for a few of these cars.

When I see a bright new paint finish on a car that shows underlying issues I get very cautious. A very close examination of the underside of that car is in order. Yes Virginia, you can put lipstick on a pig

I was in Vernal Utah for the Vernal Rock Rally this past weekend, while there, I ran across these. Such beautiful cars. There was also a BRG convertible, that really knocked my socks off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8DFF9FB6-EB2B-4562-B7FC-2E76580ACE62.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	38915  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBA2E00C-27C4-49F1-BFD1-F4456CD74AC7.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	395.6 KB 
ID:	38916  

If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    ...BRG convertible...
    British Racing Green?......Ben

I could never warm up to the XKE 2+2----it just looked "uncomfortable" carrying about that big bulge

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ----it just looked "uncomfortable" carrying about that big bulge
    I'll just shut up now......Ben

And this from a restoration site:

Generally speaking, the Jaguar XKs have no more weaknesses than most other British cars. Rust problems, overheating and front bodywork damage from the weak stock brakes are the most common. The frames are massive, but the sills and rear frame extensions do rust. Check for poor door gaps as evidence of this.

Rust problems can also be less apparent in these cars. Lead was used as body filler, and the sheet metal can rust under the lead. Another common spot to find rust problems is in the headlight and turn lamp housings. They sometimes trap water and rust out the fender underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    British Racing Green?......Ben
    Yep!
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Boy, those old Jags were such beautiful machines. I cannot think of a vehicle now offered that's as lovely.

I want them all. It's probably a good thing I'm not rich - cause I'd end up like Leno with a stable of classics. His collection really is incredible, though.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead