Thread: Biden To Require EV Charging Every 50 Miles

Biden To Require EV Charging Every 50 Miles

Who wants to sit for hours on the side of the road charging their car batteries? Why not invest this money in longer range electric vehicles, or better yet, lowering fossil fuel prices?

President Joe Biden has pledged to have 500,000 public charging stations for electric vehicles in place by 2030. The administration is providing more than $5 billion to states over the next five years to build a network of charging stations along the nation’s interstates.

The proposed standards, which will be published next week in the Federal Register, dictate that a charging station be located every 50 miles along the interstate and no more than a mile off the highway. Stations would be required to maintain a minimum number and type of chargers capable of serving multiple customers.
    Limp Here
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I think I understand where this move is going. Yet, with current technology, I don't foresee myself using it.

Unless we figure out a way to quickly and efficiently charge electric vehicles, it would add several hours to getting from SLC to Las Vegas. That's my test - getting me between two distant cities in a workable and financially conservative way. If we get there, then I'll consider an electric vehicle.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Add a 9000# boat to the back of that EV and you have to charge every 20 minutes....... Not going to happen for me.

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post

Unless we figure out a way to quickly and efficiently charge electric vehicles, it would add several hours to getting from SLC to Las Vegas. That's my test - getting me between two distant cities in a workable and financially conservative way. If we get there, then I'll consider an electric vehicle.

Hunter
    We use the hybrid Camry for those trips, Hunter. Last year from Phoenix to Vegas cost $10.00 one way figure it'll be $35.00 or so this next time. A better opinion would be rail connections but we're so far behind the curve on that we may never catch up.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I'm really hoping they'll do the proposed rail service between So Cal and Las Vegas. After that, rail service could follow for the rest of us.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Add a 9000# boat to the back of that EV and you have to charge every 20 minutes....... Not going to happen for me.
    or a 12,500 fifth wheel.

When I see something I remember about the promises about get fast internet for the whole country. Thank you Elon.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Just a curiosity, but EV vehicle service life is rapidly increasing. I do wonder if they are going to start recycling the minerals in used EV batteries to put in new vehicles. It would make sense to me.

On the other hand, I am getting tired of Presidential Mandates that are nothing but spending money, particularly to help their cronies. I haven’t liked it in any administration.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

I think they (EV companies) have the capability to substantially improve the vehicles, but they're struggling to find reasonable price points and yet still make a profit.

I'm hopeful we'll reach that point in this decade.

Hunter