Thread: Is civility too much to ask from our representatives in Congress?

Is civility too much to ask from our representatives in Congress?

From The Hill

March For Our Lives co-founder and Parkland school shooting survivor David Hogg apologized to Sen. Marco Rubio’s (R-Fla.) on Thursday for mistakenly calling him out for a skipped meeting on gun reform legislation.
    “Rubio staff said I can’t meet with him or his staff because I ‘trigger’ him. I just wanna have a conversation,” Hogg wrote in a tweet around noon. “Please meet with me @marcorubio I just want to figure out how we can stop these things from happening,” Hogg added. “We have to end the continuous debate and find what we can agree on”.

Hogg’s initial tweet drew a quick response from Rubio’s chief of staff Michael Needham, who accused Hogg of intentionally lying about the meeting.

“No one said such a thing. As for the meeting, you must be confused as we had a 2p meeting scheduled with you,” Needham said in a tweet. “However, since you are lying and clearly using this all for self-promotion, that meeting is now cancelled.”
    “Also, the reporter doing a profile of you knows the meeting is real since she was emailing yesterday with our comms team about it,” Needham added. “Don’t lie again — we have receipts.”
    https://thehill.com/news/state-watch...logy-to-rubio/

When did it become acceptable for our elected representatives to be so snotty to the public? I don't care if Hogg called Rubio a scrofulous dog - Rubio's Chief of Staff has no business being ugly like that to ANYONE. When I dealt with the public, I always remembered that I work for them, that I serve them, and even if they are pushing my buttons, I had to stay professional and courteous. Here, the provocation wasn't even that large and BOOM! Phasers on full. Photon torpedos away!

I applaud Rubio's office for refusing to meet with Hogg. Hogg is an arrogant, self-aggrandizing POS that deserves no notice from Rubio or anyone else. If you like red-flag laws, Hogg should be high on the list of persons of interest.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I applaud Rubio's office for refusing to meet with Hogg. Hogg is an arrogant, self-aggrandizing POS that deserves no notice from Rubio or anyone else. If you like red-flag laws, Hogg should be high on the list of persons of interest.
    I was thinking the same thing but just really didn't want to post it but I have to say Mike you did a damn good job better than I could have.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

It can be difficult at times to be in a political office. But, having said that, no one is working there that does not want to be there. We know what we're getting into and, if we don't know that, we should walk out the door.

I went through military service and law enforcement without feeling my life was endangered. Yet, while working at Utah's Capitol, a guy who I was in an auto accident with showed up to my office (and my wife's office) claiming I was a corrupt lawbreaker. He also called several times to harass our staff. I was beyond embarrassed when my boss called me into his office to discuss it.

As a result of the above, I laid low and made sure I wasn't being followed for about six months. And, I ensured our Capitol law enforcement staff were kept informed about it.

There's no way I'll ever run for office. Regardless what we think of our politicians, they can be targeted at home or at work. May all of them be safe.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think you might be letting your disdain for Hogg overshadow the duty any elected representative owes all of us - a civil tongue. It is possible to consider Hogg to be a jerk while acting professionally and as an adult, not a mean girl tweeter.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I learned something.. had to Google David Hogg..

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/shoo...n-violence-nra

That was an excellent Fox News article/video link our friend performed. Personally, I had pretty much given up on that network. But, in my opinion, Fox News did the right thing. I am impressed.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead