Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I regard tonight as important not only to me but to the entire country

Regarding the partisan nature of the committee,

On May 28, Senate Republicans filibustered the creation of an independent commission along the lines of the 9/11 commission. In the defeated proposal, the proposed commission would have subpoena powers but only after agreement of the full committee. McConnell at the time said that he opposed the commission because the Senate was already investigating the incident and he felt that a separate commission would be unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Fifty minutes into this I am turned off by Liz Cheney. She appears to be attempting to sell her position rather than just presenting the facts. I happen to believe that there was an attempted coup and an insurrection, but Liz Cheney's presentation looks more like a personal vendetta than fact.

I hope the rest goes better.
    Not every person is as up on this stuff as you are, Mike. Some people need to told what is at stake and what the Committee concluded and why all this is important. Look at IV's post - IV is a good guy but he is already dismissing this whole episode as Tourists Gone Wild. To break through that shell, I think you kind of have to tell people what they are going to hear, let them hear it, then tell them what they just heard. There is a lot of noise out there trying to drown out the Committee, intentionally.

I'm thinking she's probably been traumatized by her exclusion from her party hierarchy and the attacks she's received. It's possible she's over-reacting as a result. Personally, I'm impressed that she hasn't given up and shut down.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I am cautiously still on her side. I only wish the entire rino herd jointly could equal her courage and character---it ain't easy being the lone ranger.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Cheney is a rino.......
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

What is a rino....

Yo Kev , Tourists gone wild ?. Not sure where you get that . i perhaps misstated - Pence did not nullify the vote . You may have read that Trump did not ask him to do so . I also stated , I would watch with an open mind looking for concrete evidence .

While I willingly admit , I believe the Presidential vote was in some way not in accordance with the law, I also stated and I repeat . I will wait to see if there is anything concrete to confirm that the actions on 1-6-21 were in fact an insurrection instituted by Trump .

We will most likely be watching this for a couple of months so there will be many facts brought to light . I just hop[e that there is equal time for both sides to present the evidence . I'm not all that sure that bennys references to slavery , the kkk and hanging were a way to begin but , we will see .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    What is a rino....
    Republican In Name Only----which effectively describes the trash currently masquerading as Republicans----both in office and their confused followers.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

In Mr. Thomas's closing remarks he stated that the next episode would "examine the lies that convinced" people to storm the capital. While I agree with the statement, it certainly does not indicate that there is an impartial investigation taking place.

Again,I am disappointed with the committee.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

In Mr. Thomas's closing remarks he stated that the next episode would "examine the lies that convinced" people to storm the capital. While I agree with the statement, it certainly does not indicate that there is an impartial investigation taking place.

Again, I am disappointed with the committee.
    I don't have a problem with that---these people have been at this for months---long enough to form opinions based on facts. Their purpose now is to move all of us to the same point they have moved to by using the facts they have learned.

Again,I am disappointed with the committee.
    Tried to warn everybody.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Republican In Name Only----which effectively describes the trash currently masquerading as Republicans----both in office and their confused followers.
    Confusion is in the state of mind of the confused.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Yes, there was some editorializing by the chair and co-chair.

And there may have been some “quotations out of context”. (I don’t believe that there really was) so, throw out half of the interviews (your choice which half).. the remaining half should be enough to paint a very scary picture.. and the “action footage” couldn’t have been selectively edited..

I believe that.. “we ain’t seen nuttin yet”.. there are going to be some world class bombshells.. somebody is trying to hide something really really big..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Yes, there was some editorializing by the chair and co-chair.

And there may have been some “quotations out of context”. (I don’t believe that there really was) so, throw out half of the interviews (your choice which half).. the remaining half should be enough to paint a very scary picture.. and the “action footage” couldn’t have been selectively edited..

I believe that.. “we ain’t seen nuttin yet”.. there are going to be some world class bombshells.. somebody is trying to hide something really really big..
    Yeah we were told we ain't seen nothing yet by Adam Schiff for over a year regarding Russian collusion and it was all bull****. There is no question Misdeeds occurred on January 6th many of lesser and of greater gravity. The ones who are guilty need to be punished under the laws of the United States and that is under the purview of the department of Justice and our court system. Not by politics in political theater.

There is a role for Congress in investigating a fuller picture than just the legal ramifications. It has performed this role since 1792, when it investigated General St. Clair's defeat at the Battle of the Wabash, the worst military defeat ever suffered by our nation in the all the wars against Native Americans. There were 650 dead, 270 wounded against only 100 Native American casualties. This was the first Congressional investigation and the discussion about whether it was even appropriate was interesting. In the end, as far as I can tell, no one went to jail but several changes in military procedures were recommended, different military training, different methods of procurement, etc., were the result. You can read about it here: https://www.levin-center.org/congres...clairs-defeat/

Nixon didn't go to jail over Watergate, but I still wanted a full and complete picture of what happened. Clinton didn't go to jail over Benghazi and while 11 investigations was probably excessive, I still think that it was very important that we know precisely who did what and why. Reagan was never impeached over Iran Contra but knowing the full picture was important. Focusing on the merely legal viewpoint misses much of what happened and, to an extent, limits the discussion to only what is illegal "at the time". As the Church investigations showed, getting a fuller picture is necessary to change the laws.

You see it now with baby formula. Here is a matter of national interest that no one is likely to go to jail over but I still want to know exactly what happened. The Afghanistan withdrawal is another matter I want to see fully explored. No one is likely to go to jail, so there is nothing to see? I disagree.