Thread: Did we forget?

Did we forget?

...or did I just miss it? Yesterday was the anniversary of "D" Day, 1944

Also, yesterday additional charges were brought against a number of the insurrectionist.

Today the Justice Department filed a superseding indictment charging Proud Boys leader Henry “Enrique” Tarrio and four colleagues with up to ten criminal counts, including seditious conspiracy and conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, in relation to the January 6 insurrection. Sedition is the crime of inciting a revolt against the government, and conspiracy means there was an organized group of people with a plan.
    A grand jury indicted Tarrio and Ethan Nordean, Joseph Biggs, Zachary Rehl, and Dominic Pezzola, all of whom had already been charged with crimes; this filing adds to those charges. The indictment says that the five men “did knowingly conspire, confederate, and agree, with other persons known and unknown to the Grand Jury, to oppose by force the authority of the Government of the United States and by force to prevent, hinder, and delay the execution of any law of the United States…. The purpose of the conspiracy was to oppose the lawful transfer of presidential power by force.”
    Wow.
    The DOJ is acknowledging that the insurrectionists were trying to overthrow the government. As retired Harvard law professor Lawrence Tribe tweeted, “Seditious conspiracy is huge. No more serious federal crime short of treason.”
    The indictment alleges these Proud Boys members used their social media platform as leaders of the gang to stir up anger about the election. “It’s time for f**king War if they steal this s**t,” Biggs wrote, referring to the presidential election. Nordean posted on social media: “We tried playing nice and by the rules, now you will deal with the monster you created. The spirit of 1776 has resurfaced and has created groups like the Proudboys and we will not be extinguished. We will grow like the flame that fuels us and spread like love that guides us. We are unstoppable, unrelenting and now…unforgiving. Good luck to all you traitors of this country we so deeply love…you’re going to need it.” Rehl posted: “Hopefully the firing squads are for the traitors that are trying to steal the election from the American people.”
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 06-07-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ...or did I just miss it? Yesterday was the anniversary of "D" Day, 1944
    I mentioned it earlier...I thought you of all people would have caught the language, Dave...Too subtle I guess...

As an aside, I went to what was once Shooter's Station yesterday to see if anyone knew that 6/6/1998 was the opening day for the store...Turns out I was the only celebrant...Just another business day for the others......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I'm sorry Ben----I was distracted the last 5 or 6 days with the sorrowful job of packing up my reloading and shooting stuff

Thanks for remembering
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

So now that you're liberated from all those murderous guns and other dangerous equipment, just like the french were liberated 78 years ago, will you express your unwavering gratitude to the auction company just like the french do to this day?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I can't lay any blame on the auction company, in fact, they have been very respective of both my guns and my reloading/gunsmithing tools and supplies as well as my obvious sadness in letting them go.

Much of this is being driven by a yet undefined move and downsizing as well as not wanting to leave the ultimate disposal of all of this to my kids when I die (mostly my middle son, daughter and SIL).

My emotional reaction to this has come as a bit of surprise to me---I failed to realize how much attachment I had to "my stuff". As an example, yesterday I sent off my first set of dies, 222 Rem from Herters and my first powder scale and powder dispenser. I bought them when I was 16, 61 years ago. The scale was retired years ago but the measure remained in use for some specific applications and retained a place on my bench next to the much newer RCBS dispenser.

Looking at my collection I could track my liquidity. Herters was my "Amazon" of the early days. Then I moved up to RCBS and finally to the top shelf, including Forester dies, a Reading Big Boss and a turret press. It included tons of rather obscure tools and gadgets from Sinclair et al.

I'm feeling a bit hollowed out at the moment.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    We didn’t forget.. just a little quieter this year..

I was in Canada on D-Day several rears ago.. most interesting watching the Canadian stories.. different landing beaches, different stories..

Anybody who forgot you're not alone Biden didn't wake up and remember anything about it till 9:00 p.m. yesterday.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    .. most interesting watching the Canadian stories.. different landing beaches, different stories..
    A Canadian friend of mine researches His grandfather's experiences in WWII Europe...Here is a Linked In post he published...And a video......Ben

"The average age of a Canadian soldier landing on Juno Beach in 1944 was only 20."
    - Geoff Osborne

As we've discussed before, they really were The Greatest Generation.

I lost uncles I never met.

My passed-on stepfather was from Germany and had 6 brothers. Three of them did not return home once the war ended. The only thing that saved his life was leaving Germany ASAP, working his way across the Atlantic as a ship hand.

Wifey's Father was posted to Japan under General MacArthur. He told me that elderly Japanese would, upon seeing his US Army uniform, stop on the street to bow to him - out of respect.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead