Thread: This weekend at the gun show...

This weekend at the gun show...

I had tables at a small show at Lake Livingston this weekend as a warmup to the somewhat larger show in Conroe where I always display...The promoter, whom I've known for a long time, told me after I set up that he spent the week getting threatening emails and phone calls from enraged "activists" who told him it was disrespectful to the grieving families of dead children to have a gun show where even more crazed lunatics could arm themselves and then go out and massacre the populace...Joe said two of them even threatened his life, so he filed a report with the local Sheriff's Office who investigated further...He was told one of them was in Oregon from a known nutcase with a long history of such behavior...The other originated in Virginia from another unstable source...Obviously these people just go through the Gun Show Trader publication and threaten all the promoters...

Joe said he's used to having people steal his signs overnight directing people to the shows, so he now puts them out only on show mornings and takes them up after hours...It was a little different at the show this weekend as a group of about half a dozen gathered at the entrance near the roadway yesterday morning, marching up and down chanting with their signs against all the baby-killers arming themselves for more carnage...Joe let them stew in the sun for a couple of hours to see what else they had planned, and then walked out to talk to them...He's a real jovial, friendly guy anyway, so when he confronted them he just thanked them for being there, and drawing attention to his show, and waving people in to the right driveway with their bright colored signs...

He told them he normally has to pay people $15 an hour to do what they were doing for free...By the time he walked back up to the door, they had folded their tents, got in their Prius hybrids and quietly left...Crowds were pretty good at the show that morning......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The wackos can't stand it when you play nice with them. They want you to get in the dirt with them. The important part is did you make any money or pick up any new inventory?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    The important part is did you make any money or pick up any new inventory?
    I was there mostly as a favor to the promoter who is an old friend...The crowd in that neck of the woods wasn't interested in old-timey, obsolete steel revolvers, just cheap plastic...I was hoping to at least score a few new additions, but only snagged one, a S&W M&P early post-WWII...I've got a message in to Roy Jinks to get the shipping date...I'm hoping for January 1947 so I'll have a birthmonth gun, but it might be even earlier than that...The serial number is very low in that series...The gun is not pristine, but the numbers all match, and it'll clean up fine......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    S&W M&P early post-WWII...
    So

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Man you guys didn't get his lucky as Joel Osteen. Some pro abortion wackos showed up at his church and took their clothes off. I'm sure you would have enjoyed that more!
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Man you guys didn't get his lucky as Joel Osteen. Some pro abortion wackos showed up at his church and took their clothes off. I'm sure you would have enjoyed that more!
    I saw the anti 2A group baking in the sun with their clothes on...That was more than I wanted......Ben

Many of my guns are going on the road Friday.

Not for sale, only to "sell" the up coming auction.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    ...they had folded their tents, got in their Prius hybrids and quietly left...
    "If honey bees become extinct, human society will follow in four years."
    - Albert Einstein

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead