Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barramundi---what's for dinner

Barramundi---what's for dinner

I never made Barramundi before because I never saw it in the store before It commonly is called a type of sea bass but it isn't a bass at all.

I have had it in restaurants and enjoyed it, so when it was on sale at my grocer I jumped on it---and happy that I did. Fish is one of those things that is hard to mess up.

I seared this in a cast iron skillet after rubbing it down with canola oil. About 5 minutes/side, then I made a garlic, lemon, and Irish Butter sauce (reduction) in the same pan. All done!

Don't give me a hard time about acid in cast iron---a well seasoned CI pan is not offended by that at all

I served that with brown rice and steamed broccoli for the bride and broccoli rabe for me.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The link to Wikipedia is a welcome thing.

Yeah, I was going to make a crack about the Sea Bass having Asian eyes, but cultural sensitivity overshadowed it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    The link to Wikipedia is a welcome thing.

Yeah, I was going to make a crack about the Sea Bass having Asian eyes, but cultural sensitivity overshadowed it.

Hunter
    Since mine were headless fillets, I would not have been able to answer anything about the eyes
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Love Blackened Sea Bass.....

IMHO Chilean Sea Bass is as good as it gets. I only wish it had a better rating with Seafood Watch.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 05-26-2022 at 11:05 PM.

So, now that I've looked up "Seafood Watch" and saw it's a, "...global leader in the sustainable seafood movement." I'm in.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I avoid farmed fish of all kinds. I do that both from an environmental concern but also quality---farm raised fish are inferior in quality to wild caught. Salmon, is a perfect example of the quality issue. Farm raised salmon's color is not nearly as vivid as wild, in fact, they add dye to their food to give them the pink hue. The other very noticeable difference is in texture. Farm raised are mushy, wild caught are much firmer...and then there is the taste!

I only eat fish when I can see the boat that delivered it to the dock....

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I only eat fish when I can see the boat that delivered it to the dock....
    That is a great policy-----but you must put on a lot of mileage going to the dock from Phoenix Not to mention the ice you need to get it home

I'm thinking he may go to Lake Havasu City. A Nephew of mine is married to a woman who was born there.

Hunter

Actually Bo could stay even closer to home

I have never been a fan of tilapia, there is nothing notable about the taste and the texture is unattractive mushiness. Then I read about a tilapia Aquaculture project in an abandoned sewage treatment plant in Arizona. I was not put off as much by the location, as by the details of the operation. It is rather ingenious actually, they co-farm stripped bass and tilapia in the former aeration tanks.

The stripped bass are top dwellers. They are fed and of course convert that to poop. That in turn begins the ingenious part of this operation, the poop sinks to the bottom---where the tilapia live----and in fact seem to thrive on the poop from above. It seems the tilapia enjoy those big nasty strippers chitting on their heads. Each to their own

On a more serious note; we eat a lot of seafood but I avoid farm raised on all fish and shrimp---it simply is not of equal quality brought on by artificial (and never changing) diet and limited exercise, which degrades the texture. Exceptions to that rule are scallops, clams, mussels and oysters. They are grown in a controlled way, in open sea water and not fed artificially. I will still opt for wild sourced but I have to acknowledge that farmed clams and mussels are the equal to wild, with one major exception---they don't have sand in them. I can go directly from the refrigerator to the stove.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 05-28-2022 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    That is a great policy-----but you must put on a lot of mileage going to the dock from Phoenix Not to mention the ice you need to get it home
    We do San Diego a lot and eat a lot of local fish there. Hawaii for the Ahi....

What kind of fish are local?

I like the Mahi Mahi... You can get good Tuna as well. Calamari comes from the sea of cortez so I consider it fairly local to cali... Only problem with the calamari is no one serves it with a marinara dipping sauce any more so we hit our favorite beach pizza joint and they hook us up with some to go...

We're lucky to have the Gulf of Mexico so close. Provides us with a bounty and variety of fresh seafood.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.