Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 14 little souls and one dear teacher

Sorry but I doubt anything much will change. The Republicans started the NRA dance within a day. I thing it was Cruz but it could been any number of the politicians that suggested the "fix" for the problem is to "harden" the "targets". So schools are going to resemble maximum security prisons? Where is the funding for that going to come from? Sue the gun and ammunition manufactures like the tobacco makers? How many would be killed before that happens? And since there's a run of mass shootings at churches, shopping malls and grocery stores who's going to pay for that? And once these targets are hardened what's next, subways, bus stops, there's any number of places where large number of people congregate. Last time I checked chain link fencing and razor wire doesn't stop bullets very well.

Sorry folks but until the weapon of choice is better controlled/regulated I don't think we will see any reduction in the carnage. Just be aware that your next trip to Safeway you probably should take an extra clip, you never know when you might need to reload in the frozen food isle.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Cruz made possibly one of his dumbest suggestions regarding the schools---one door in and one door out------which sir you will run afoul of every building code in existence----for good reason. They managed to take out 146 souls in one shot at the Triangle Shirt Waste factory fire in 1911 using that logic!

The man is a walking mumbling idiot
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Cruz...is a walking mumbling idiot
    On that we agree...I haven't liked him since the first time I laid eyes on him...He reminds me of every shifty-eyed, self-serving used car salesman I ever saw...Herb Tarlek would have looked saintly next to him......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    On that we agree...I haven't liked him since the first time I laid eyes on him...He reminds me of every shifty-eyed, self-serving used car salesman I ever saw...Herb Tarlek would have looked saintly next to him......Ben

Herb had a thing for Bailey .
    i never could stand him for that alone.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Like many here, I've been through too many of these news cycles when a mass killing occurs. This one feels different to me. For, we're seeing mass assemblies across our nation with angry participants.

Our legislators may think they're off the hook - but if our voters remain angry, they may seek vengeance at the ballot box.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Adding to the madness of this tragedy is the continuing tale of disgraceful conduct by police whose tale continues to morph daily. I'm not sure that I could restrain myself if I were a member one of the victim's family.

As expected, the rhetoric oozing out of the Houston NRA crowd has all the familiar stink about it
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I think sometimes we forget, "government of the people, by the people, and for the people".

If a majority of people want gun control or abortion or playing tiddlywinks in the street then or elected officials should be following their wishes and not party lines BS.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Be careful what you wish for Fred. The majority are not always right

Be careful what you wish for Fred. The majority are not always right
    Who gets to decide who is right?

As near as I can tell, it's whoever holds power at any given time.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Who gets to decide who is right?

As near as I can tell, it's whoever holds power at any given time.
    Which can also be greatly influenced by who makes the most noise!

I'd guess that many would argue that California's use of propositions has not always turned out to be the best decision for the State. We need to keep in mind that the voting majority is often a minority, which is simply larger than other minorities.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 05-28-2022 at 11:55 AM.

Which can also be greatly influenced by who makes the most noise!
    And by "power" I don't necessarily mean political power. He who has the gold also gets to decide what is right by influencing those in political power. I'm not sure who has the most power, politicians or the super rich.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    And by "power" I don't necessarily mean political power. He who has the gold also gets to decide what is right by influencing those in political power. I'm not sure who has the most power, politicians or the super rich.
    Since many of the politicians got there with the support of the super rich---I have a good idea where the power is.

Perhaps I'm showing my age, but I believe there is more to right and wrong than who holds the power in society at a given time. Who decides it for a given society, at a given time, is surely a question for whomever is in power but that is a legal distinction. Right and wrong as a moral concept transcends the state of a nation's laws.

In this case, I believe that it is morally wrong to insist that no reduction in our access to weapons that can kill so many, so quickly and so easily, take place when the cost is mass shootings such as these. Especially when a solution exists (banning high capacity external magazines) that would preserve the right to own the weapon while decreasing its lethality. Making that gun safer and less lethal while still making it available is a reasonable compromise and to oppose such measures means one is willing to trade lives for a freedom that is killing us.