Thread: Night sounds

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Night sounds

At times I think air conditioning is a self-inflicted scourge on mankind.

About 5 PM yesterday a cold front moved through and along with a 25 degree temperature drop in about 25 minutes we had some very turbulent weather. As quickly as the storm came it passed and the evening was calm and clearing. After the low 90's heat of the day, it was a welcome respite to switch the A/C off and open the windows.

As dusk turned to darkness, the sounds of the night began to saturate the air flowing through the window next to me. They were sounds of a busy world. Dominating the cornucopia of sounds was a family of sharp-shinned hawks, all at different locations but all close by. It was mom, dad and the kids all talking to each other--politely for as one spoke the others listened. They were accompanied by the bull frog band and the tree frog chorus with support from a number of song birds not yet asleep.

As night went on the sounds changed as different acts took the stage. The hawks dosed off and for a while the bull frog band played solos along with unknown guest performers.

By pre-dawn the song birds began their joyful greeting of the new day, not yet arrived, as I fell back to a peaceful sleep induced by their opera.

I hope the future owners will take the time to listen to the gifts that flow through an open window.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 05-23-2022 at 01:41 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis