Thread: Night sounds

Night sounds

At times I think air conditioning is a self-inflicted scourge on mankind.

About 5 PM yesterday a cold front moved through and along with a 25 degree temperature drop in about 25 minutes we had some very turbulent weather. As quickly as the storm came it passed and the evening was calm and clearing. After the low 90's heat of the day, it was a welcome respite to switch the A/C off and open the windows.

As dusk turned to darkness, the sounds of the night began to saturate the air flowing through the window next to me. They were sounds of a busy world. Dominating the cornucopia of sounds was a family of sharp-shinned hawks, all at different locations but all close by. It was mom, dad and the kids all talking to each other--politely for as one spoke the others listened. They were accompanied by the bull frog band and the tree frog chorus with support from a number of song birds not yet asleep.

As night went on the sounds changed as different acts took the stage. The hawks dosed off and for a while the bull frog band played solos along with unknown guest performers.

By pre-dawn the song birds began their joyful greeting of the new day, not yet arrived, as I fell back to a peaceful sleep induced by their opera.

I hope the future owners will take the time to listen to the gifts that flow through an open window.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 05-23-2022 at 01:41 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Sounds like heaven to me.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I'd love to open the windows when the weather permits but my allergies would go through the roof.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'd love to open the windows when the weather permits but my allergies would go through the roof.
    I understand that but normally after a rain things are not as bad for me
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It's very quiet in a town of less than 500 souls. An occasional car or truck goes up my street, one that comes off the main highway. The paved road at the corner sees more traffic, there a farmer at the dead end and he's going by now with the big tractors and the planting gear on back.

It's one of the joys of boondocking out in the southwestern deserts. Many of the areas are remote enough that I see very few vehicles or people. In April when I started making my way back I was setting in a large wildlife area that had been one of the largest ranches and there was no one else on the road. Probably had several hundred acres to myself. I found a few new places to go to this winter, just me and the dog.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Does this mean you don't have to go back to work?

As a chronic insomniac, I try to enjoy the ambiance that ties with the sun dipping beneath the horizon. One outstanding quality of being awake is seeing every sunrise and sunset.

Can't fight it, damn it... I might as well get something out of it, eh?

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead