Thread: Anyone following the roofing problem in FLA??

Anyone following the roofing problem in FLA??

https://floridapolitics.com/archives...ves-have-nots/

Add in fast population growth in Florida, high demand for high-risk areas such as coastal communities, higher prices for construction and labor, and alleged abuse by contractors who lure policyholders to file inflated damage claims, and you have what one prominent insurance executive calls “total collapse of the overall Florida marketplace.”

The actuarially sound way to respond to the new normal is to raise rates, reduce coverage, or throw in the towel, as eight property insurance companies in Florida have done since 2018. Just this week, three others asked state insurance regulators to approve hefty rate increases — as high as 49 percent on policyholders not among the tens of thousands who recently lost coverage altogether due to non-renewals.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...cane-rcna29649

Here's how the scam works....
    The crisis is largely the result of a plague of roofing scams, fed by loopholes in state law and a string of court decisions that allowed them to proliferate, insurers and government officials say.

The scam works like this: Contractors knock on doors offering to inspect homeowners’ roofs for storm damage. They say they can help get a roof replacement covered by insurance, and they persuade the homeowners to sign away their rights to file the claims themselves. The contractors then file fraudulent damage claims, and when the insurance companies balk, the contractors sue. The insurance companies usually settle the disputed claims for many times more than the original claim. Most of that money goes to the contractors’ lawyers in the form of a “contingency fee multiplier.” Some lawyers file hundreds of such lawsuits a year.

The homeowner may get a free roof, but everyone pays for it through increased rates.

“Ultimately, the victim is every Floridian who is buying their neighbors’ roofs,” said state Sen. Jeff Brandes, a Republican from St. Petersburg who has criticized the state Legislature for not acting faster.

Andre Hall found himself in the middle of a scam in December, after roofers showed up at his home in St. Johns offering to inspect his roof for damage. They said they found some, and got him to sign a document that he didn’t understand — which he later learned required his insurance company to pay the roofers. But Hall is pushing back, trying to prevent the roofers from coming on his property, a stand he said he is making on principle.

“They strong-arm you into using them. And they strong-arm the insurance company,” Hall, 56, said.

In the state Legislature, attempts to reform litigation practices pit the insurance industry against trial lawyers, another politically powerful group. The Florida Justice Association, which represents trial lawyers, says the insurance companies’ claims about fraud and frivolous lawsuits are overblown, and that the companies are to blame for poor financial management. The group accuses the companies of using the issue to erode consumers’ rights to pursue legitimate claims, and regulators of poor oversight of insurers.
    Thinking there's not to many bright people in FLA when in a few more years many of the homes are sloly sinking into the sea. Climate change?????
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I’m in the DC burbs, Virginia side.. 16 miles west of the White House, one mile east of NRA museum.. evert year or two we have a storm that drops a small amount of hail on us.. spots can have a small thrashing of hail..

Afterwards the roofers show up and guarantee a free roof.. next door neighbor got one, scam works.. I see their signs in peoples yards and they get 1 in 20, maybe 30 houses.. probably the same scam..

There is a weather condition along the east coast.. DC, Baltimore and Philly, maybe more, because of the heat held by the brick and mortar and asphalt buildup, and the mountains to the west.. the north west burbs get more than their share of summer evenings thunder storms.. we are western, sometimes we get hammered..

When I moved to Nebraska about two months later a bad hail storm went through, I'd been through several in Denver, this one was bad. I had over $6,000.00 damage to my truck. And the roofers showed up, remember it's a village of 500 people. They were walking down the street and knocking on doors. A few were local, most weren't. I had one that was insistent on getting on the roof and checking. Nope. Just about everybody got a new roof, I didn't. I had $1,000.00 deducible. The roof doesent leak, I didn't loose any shingles but it sags and bows in a few places, it's 102 years old this year. I'd be curious how many needed a new roof and how many got a new roof?
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

About once a month we've got some "contractor" showing up at our door saying they've resolved neighbor's issues with roofing, windows, bricks - yada yada. They all get the same result - No! I don't trust anyone who comes to my door saying I need their services.

My friends, let your local BBB's know if you suspect scammers.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    About once a month we've got some "contractor" showing up at our door saying they've resolved neighbor's issues with roofing, windows, bricks - yada yada. They all get the same result - No! I don't trust anyone who comes to my door saying I need their services.

My friends, let your local BBB's know if you suspect scammers.

Hunter
    Exactly..

We currently hav a “Travelers” family trying to sell driveways, “three inches of hot rolled asphalt “..

Additionally their pickup has out of state tags… just to add to the trust factor..

Note: Travelers are Irish Gypsys only not as honest as Roma Gypsys.. but they do have cute accents..

We have a house in Carroll County Md. and last year we had someone show up with the "you need a new roof" pitch. We don't live there and part of their pitch was that they would do everything necessary to process the insurance claim with State Farm. I verified that this company was approved by State Farm and went ahead with it since it seemed to be the most expeditious route.

The rub came when the extras began showing up. I will simply say that they were not prepared for the back charges that began showing up from me nor with an owner who was possibly more technically (and legally) knowledgeable than they were.

Suffice it to say, that I am reasonably sure that they are no longer approved by State Farm.

The sad part is that in most cases these crooks are working with "victims" that are less equipped to "manage" their antics.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Never, ever, do business with these door-door "trades". It is almost guaranteed that they are frauds. You should see all the storm chasers decend on Houston after a hurricane.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Never, ever, do business with these door-door "trades". It is almost guaranteed that they are frauds. You should see all the storm chasers decend on Houston after a hurricane.
    A hail storm initiated my experience.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    A hail storm initiated my experience.
    I've had that happen, too. I've even been told they could show hail damage even if there wasn't any. I've heard of using a golf ball in a sock to create the "damage".
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Funny, I just filed a claim on my home policy for wind damage to my roof. Missing some shingles on one slope and lose ones on the other slopes....

I replaced the roof in 2011 and 2 weeks later a hail storm came through and damaged just about every roof in the area. The sound of nail guns every day for months pissed me off because if I had waited a couple week i could have had it replaced with no out of pocket cost ....

My son, who lives there told me that the same thing happened in that neighborhood with new roofs going on all over.

Frankly, I am not sure that the adjuster wasn't part of this party---but that was State Farm's problem.

[QUOTE=Sandman;1090119
    Note: Travelers are Irish Gypsys only not as honest as Roma Gypsys.. but they do have cute accents..[/QUOTE]

Hay be careful about the Irish comments. Maybe that's why I like to travel and waited till retirement to buy a house?
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

As we can see, our members are wise - financially and racially.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead