Thread: Alternator Question

Alternator Question

It seems the voltage regulator on the little tractor that could has failed and needs to be replaced. I base this diagnosis on the fact that the battery got hot and was venting copious amounts of sulfuric gas. In my experience that is caused by overcharging which is caused by a faulty voltage regulator. I haven't bothered to do a more technical analysis, I just ordered a new voltage regulator.

So, my question is this: will it hurt the alternator to disconnect it from the electrical circuit but leave the belt connected? I need to use the tractor for the week it will take for the new regulator to arrive. I know the battery will not be charged, but I can deal with that.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I've never done it that way, but I don't see any harm in it if no circuits are complete in the alternator......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I have done it before with no ill effect. Do it, just have to jump start it.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

I don't know the age of the tractor but the fuel injectors are probably mechanical, and there's no spark plugs so any drain on the battery should be minimal.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.