Thread: Economics

Economics

....well, I had to call it something

Today was grocery day and I set out with what I thought was a modest list---so when the total exceeded my recently customary amount I was curious.

There is no question that inflation is on display at the grocery store. One item that I use on a regular basis had been 10 for $10, now it is 4 for $5---that is a 25% increase.

I separated my charges into major sub-groups: produce, fish, meat (pork, beef and chicken) and "all other". I was mildly surprised at the results:

1. Produce (fresh) was $40.27
    2. Fish and seafood $33.36
    3. Meat $37.36
    4. All other, including dairy, baked goods, frozen foods and canned goods. I had no household items or bakery (bread) items this week. $48.37

I bought no seafood or meat that was not on sale with the exception of 1.0 lb of fresh tuna.

I might be able to save a few pennies by buying frozen veggies but I prefer to buy fresh. I had an idea that my produce would be the highest cost but never did the math before.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 05-19-2022 at 09:19 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It's absolutely crazy. Add to that the highest gas prices in the history of the country and a tanking stock market, along with warnings from all the major brokerages that recession is on the horizon. Going to be hard times for a lot of people. We need some leadership to help the American people through this.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'm afraid it is just going to keep climbing. I was spoiled in that I would put it on the list and just throw it in the basket but now I'm trying to be a bit more careful with shopping. I just feel lucky because while it's more expensive I can still pretty much buy what I want and I know that my older sister is closer to the edge financially. One reason I pushed for her to receive all the inheritance from our mother.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson