Thread: For the nonreligious

For the nonreligious

A question from a religious person:

Realizing that there is a alternative reason (civil rights) for opposing abortion, are you bothered by people who use religion as their basis for opposition?

I've been reading the comments section of the Times and there are lots of variations on the "don't shove your religion down my throat" theme but how is an opinion formed by secular thought processes somehow acceptable but one formed by a religious thought process unacceptable as a methodology? I can understand opposition to the conclusion but there is a real antipathy to using a moral code formed by religious considerations in these comments. I don't understand why a moral code formed by secular viewpoints is not only deemed better, but also why a moral code formed by a religious consideration is somehow unacceptable even apart from the conclusion being reached.

What they don’t acknowledge is that their secular beliefs are also a religion, and that they are trying to force it down the throats of others, but they are way more demeaning in how it is done. Many definitions say that religion requires the belief in a Supreme Being. In my world a religion is a belief system, and secular beliefs are definitely a belief system.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry