Thread: My guns

My guns

...are beginning to show up on the web.

That will open to the first page of the sale items. Near the bottom of the page (below the shotgun) you will see "Photos"---click on either one. You now see thumbnail pictures of multiple guns. The second gun on the top row is one of mine. Click on the thumbnail and it will open a larger picture with this address line: https://www.alderferauction.com/auct...0314#gallery-2

My guns are #2, 3, 4, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. Many more to come

I have to admit that I am doing a bit of grieving
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

You can't leave it there, Dave.

What are those guns? I like 12 and 13, have no clue what 14 and 15 are and 16? 16 would definitely make the talk of the deer woods. Looks like a Model 70 of some sort, with a very custom stock. I'd be afraid to drag it through some of the places I go.

2 and 12 look like Citoris. 12 is a trap gun? Maybe an XT? Is 2 a Belgian? No clue on the SxS.

#16 is a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 with a custom stock which I fully bedded and floated. It is a .243 Win.

From the beginning, #2 is a "round nob" Belgium Browning Diana grade with excellent wood and signed by the engraver.

#3 is a 1919 Parker Bros. BHE grade with 2 sets of barrels (and forehands), 12 ga with no signs of ever had been fired. The 26" barrels were called Grouse barrels. The wood is Turkish Circassian.

#4 should not have been included, that is not my pistol.

Skipping ahead to #12, that is a Browning Citori Grade 6, 12 ga. That includes a fitted KD leather carry case.

#13 is my beloved Fox, XE Grade, 12 ga, live pigeon gun (no safety), single trigger, California Claro Walnut straight English stock made for the 1926 Grand American Expo in Philadelphia and then shipped to Witte Hardware Co on Oct 30 of 1926. It was made on special order for one of the Witte family. That has a rare beaver tail forehand.

#14 is a Winchester Grand European in 3", 12 ga over 7 x 57 mm Mauser under. Rare

#15 is a Ruger #1 with bull barrel, in 22-250 with a Unertl 22X scope with inertia mounts.

Of these guns exposure to the outside world was very limited---occasionally to the trap range or groundhog hunting but little else. The Grand European did go on a wild boar hunt once---but didn't go into the woods

On occasion I would shoot doubles with the Grade 6 Citori but most often I used my field grade which I also hunted with. For single trap I used a Browing BT-99. They will be in the auction as well.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 05-14-2022 at 08:28 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

A shotgun/rifle over/under? Interesting but what would be the purpose, aside from the cool factor? The 7x57 is a great deer cartridge but the 12 ga. on top is telling me this is more for dangerous game work. Maybe a buckshot round for close-up work if the 7 doesn't put it down on the ground? Is that why you took it boar hunting?

Beats using a boar spear! Can you imagine facing off with a charging boar, all tusks and hooves, sticking the butt end of the spear into the dirt and waiting for the boar to impale itself? Brrrrr!!!

Recall the model, "Grand European". This configuration is typical of many European guns. Often with 3 or 4 barrels. The reason being that they typical have a hunting season when all game is fair game so a gun offering more options is advantageous.

The reason for taking it boar hunting was due to often being presented by both close or long shots. On that hunt I took a Sako 308 loaded with Nosler partion bullets. By late morning I had two down and my hunt was over.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 05-14-2022 at 08:39 PM.

What?...No drillings?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

From Kevin's post:

Beats using a boar spear! Can you imagine facing off with a charging boar, all tusks and hooves, sticking the butt end of the spear into the dirt and waiting for the boar to impale itself? Brrrrr!!!
    The short answer is NO

There are a lot of variation in wild pigs---some are feral hogs while others have multiple generations of being wild. Some do have Russian Boar blood in their lineage. The long wild hogs are a mean spirited bunch and nothing to mess with. As you mentioned---the boars grow tusks that they use as weapons---mostly on each other. That brings me to the next big difference from the feral hogs, they have a layer of gristle that overlays the entire chest and going back the sides behind the front legs. That provides a shield to those tusks when fighting. It also presents a serious obstacle when hunting them because to get to the vitals you have to go through that shield. I have seen that layer more than an inch thick. It also presents a real challenge to dressing these devils out

Back to the spear, I watched a video of one such kill before I made a fool of myself by claiming no one in their right mind would attempt such a thing---but then I found that Texas has more than a few not in their right mind

However, that kill did not rely on a charge and the penetration was behind any possible shield. I have another basic problem with such claims, in my limited experience pigs don't fly.

Part of the "thrill" would be in not knowing if you are being charged by one who has that shield or not.

As an aside, I went to school with a boy whose father was said to be the first "white man" to kill a Jaguar in exactly the method you described. It worked in that case because the Jaguar had the habit of leaping on their prey.

Back to the shield: Visually you can see the difference between feral hogs and multi-generational wild boar. The bigger the animal the thicker the shield is likely to be. I have hunted with Sierra ballistic tips for many years and they have never failed to make a clean kill, but I have never recovered a spent bullet from my 7mm Mag. They either exit or disintegrate. So, for wild boar, I used Nosler Partition bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	345.5 KB 
ID:	38826

The theory behind the design is that the "partition" will control expansion and the rear lead will remain in tact and thus retain more bullet weight. In practice that did not happen on boars. The copper jacket failed totally and all the lead mass was lost---but they did make the kill. I remember one very large boar that I was skinning out over a concrete slab and I heard what turned out to be the copper jacket fall out on the slab. It had lodged between the gristle and the hide on the exit side of the animal.

One more comment on what I saw on those videos I have to question if some were not Javelinas---them Texas boys are often "fishermen" as well---and you know what that invites

Ben:

As to no drillings----it isn't because I didn't try

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	38827

When I began collecting shotguns, I set parameters and one of them was that I would not buy anything that was not exceptional in condition. Therein rests my lack of any drillings---or trillings. By far, the majority of drillings I looked at in this country were trashed---and high priced. The few that were "exceptional" had far more than simply "exceptional" prices! I never tried to buy in Europe and import them